Roland MC-80 vs MC-80EX

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Roland MC-80 vs MC-80EX

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Really want a Roland MC-80 sequencer. The MC-80 isn't hard to come across, but the EX version is quite a bit more rare. What are the differences beside the voice expansion board (which I have no interest in)? Are the built in effects of the EX worth it? Are there other differences I am not aware of that make the EX blow the standard model out of the water?

Should I wait for the EX to pop up, or just go for the standard MC-80? All I want to do is sequence external gear with it and compose full songs. Are there any additions in the EX that really make the standard model obsolete?

Thanks
CalvinAndHobbes

Re: Roland MC-80 vs MC-80EX

Postby crystalmsc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 am

I own the MC-80EX, as far as I remember there are no difference between the two, but the sound board. I used to enjoy listening to a lot of midi files made for the SC88 Pro, since I love early Roland sound character. But for editing and sequencing it's not too intuitive, since we need to use Microscope edit just for selecting patch and other editing. Get the EX only if you like older Roland Rompler, planned to dig the Sound Canvas world and ready for an extra effort in using the engine. There are still many people who are enjoying music made by early Sound Canvas, specially older games music. The MC-80EX is certainly the best hardware midi player for that. Some people also using the sound board for a metronome use. But if you didn't bother and only going to use it as a hardware sequencer, the standard version would be enough. Look also for the RM1x/RS7000/QY700, which are more interactive and has a much better voice editing and mixer. But I like the SC88 Pro sound better.

With something like the new Virtual Sound Canvas, which has a SC88 Pro sound map. It can be useful as a hardware midi player, using midi files created on the PC. 15 years ago, when laptop laptop were still very pricey, this could be a dream come true. It almost like a PC editor for the sound board.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you for response crystalmsc. I'll go with the standard MC-80 then.
CalvinAndHobbes

Postby stevesinko » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi... Have you already found your MC 80EX....?
because i'd have one to sell....
stevesinko

Postby Georgea33 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Do you still have it for sale?
Georgea33

Postby Bath House » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:32 pm

I just sold an MC80EX. Great sequencer, but the EX stuff is really a pain to access because you have to go into microscope mode and basically use sysex just to load patches. Forget making any sort of adjustments to the sounds!
Bath House

Return to Buyer's Guide