lower price on synths from UK suppliers

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

lower price on synths from UK suppliers

Postby knolan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 am

Due to the fall of the value of Sterling, the price of many synths from the likes of Digital Village are now significantly lower than from European suppliers like Thomann!

I've been monitoring the Sub37 prices - and while still 1599 Euro from Thomann, it's 1387 Euro from Digital Village at time of writing this post - it was 1599 on DV's site before Brexit. DV's quoted price changes automatically with the value of Sterling (I'm in Ireland where VAT is 23% (!) - thanks EU Bailout!! ) - so you might see different prices in both instances; but likely see the same price difference.

Intriguingly, this price difference doesn't seem to apply to all synths - perhaps related to sale price deals being worked out differently with different synth manufacturers, or depending on the country of origin of the synth - but I just felt it worth flagging that there are some real price differences worth exploring if you're in the market for a synth and live in the EU but outside of the UK!
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: lower price on synths from UK suppliers

Postby johnstimley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Well yes, and no. As sterling goes down (i.e. post Brexit) prices should go up for imports. So i.e.Roland keys from Japan will cost us more. Home manufactured products selling abroad will be cheaper for the buyer. I think Digital Village, whose warehouse is in Germany play the field to try to get the cheapest price for most things, even sometimes making little profit but relying on volume selling. Thomann was certainly worth checking and could usually do a better price on most things till recently, alas.
johnstimley

Return to Buyer's Guide