Need help buying synth for EDM

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Kinh666

Need help buying synth for EDM

Post by Kinh666 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:26 am

I need recommendations on which synth would be most suitable for electronic music. I'm not after an analogue sound just something with a lot of bite that cuts through and deep modulation. I've looked at the Nord lead 4 today and it kinda resembles what I'm after. Im not sure though how it will work in my performanceless based environment.
The music I create is EDM.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Need help buying synth for EDM

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 am

Nord Lead, Access Virus, etc... it largely depends on what you want to spend

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:52 am

EDM is very software oriented - Are you sure you want to invest in hardware? I would go for a NI software bundle + dedicated controller, or something like that, if you don't already have it. A drum/ groove synth like the DSI Tempist could come in handy though.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:15 pm

The Tempest is overkill, and costs too much.

A quick look at a listing of EDM bands shows a huge list of people using a lot of hardware in addition to some software.

Kinh666

Post by Kinh666 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:25 pm

ninja6485 wrote:EDM is very software oriented - Are you sure you want to invest in hardware? I would go for a NI software bundle + dedicated controller, or something like that, if you don't already have it. A drum/ groove synth like the DSI Tempist could come in handy though.
Ive got Komplete and nearly every soft synth on the planet. They all pretty much sound the same.
Every now and then I hear something on radio and cant find anything in my arsenal to match it so that's why my interest in hardware.

Kinh666

Post by Kinh666 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm

Ashe37 wrote:The Tempest is overkill, and costs too much.

A quick look at a listing of EDM bands shows a huge list of people using a lot of hardware in addition to some software.
Who are these EDM bands you're referring to?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm

We don't know his budget, unless it has to be the same price as the nord lead 4 for some reason.

For what reasons do you think the tempest is overkill? Seems like it has a lot of bite, and deep modulation, but isn't neccesarily focused on reproducing an analog sound. Also, it's sounds sound a lot like what I'm hearing in EDM. Being dance music, I would have thought a groove box/ drum synth like the tempest would be appropriate?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Don't forget that a lot of what you are hearing in EDM is heavily processed, the effects are as important (more important?) as the actual instruments.

I know he's old hat by now, but Skrillex for instance wasn't using any hardware. In the 80s and 90s people used hardware because there was nothing else. Then around year 2000 Reason and Live arrived and everybody moved to software. The last five years everyone has been getting back into hardware because of all the cheap new analog stuff, esp. the glut of modulars (which had never really gone away).

Hopefully all this will settle down at some point :lol:

Personally, I'd throw away most of your softsynths and keep a few that make sense...since you have Komplete, maybe FM8, Massive, Reaktor and Kontakt...and get in deeper with them while shopping for hardware. I was lucky when I started, I had no money at all so I was demoing gear for years before I was able to buy any. By that time, I knew exactly what I wanted ;)

You need to think hard about what hardware will really do for you. Those 4 NI softsynths can do far more than any one hardware synth. Try to find stores that have gear to try out and spend a lot of time checking out everything you can before you spend a penny.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.