Korg DW8000 (not working) how much should I pay?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg DW8000 (not working) how much should I pay?

Postby HappyFunTimes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:02 am

I was wondering how much any of you would pay for a nonworking DW8000? I know someone who has one, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it. The exterior is fine. It powers on (sort of), but basically spazzes out in different ways.
HappyFunTimes

Re: Korg DW8000 (not working) how much should I pay?

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:50 am

What ways.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby HappyFunTimes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:52 am

He wants $50, and describes the problems as below. I think it might cost more to fix it then it's worth. I made a thread about the problems to see if anyone can diagnose a quick fix.

The symptoms are:
-Upon power up the arpeggiator speed LED lights up

-After the unit warms up for a bit the other LEDs flash a bit, as do the digits on the screen. There's really no pattern to this, and it's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it takes several minutes and others it starts doing this instantly

-The flashing lights are usually accompanied by a range of odd noises. Anything from a hum that rises or oscillates in volume (and varies in speed/pitch) to a tone playing (like one of the keys was pressed, but the time/pitch/etc. varies with no apparent pattern)

-Keys are unresponsive

-Buttons are unresponsive

-Cannot clear RAM by holding 5 and 8 on boot, or see firmware version by holding 1 and 2 on boot

What I've done so far:

-Checked out the power supply, and it's all good. The regulators are giving consistent voltages, and none of them fluctuate or spike. There's no AC present on any of the DC rails either, the whole PSU checks out: the caps, rectifier, regulators, and diodes seem good.

-Repaired a poorly done battery replacement job. It now has a socket for the internal battery, and it's soldered properly on the back of the board, with a fresh battery in it.

-Checked all of the wire connectors. Re-seated / cleaned them and wiggled them around to see if I could trigger some of the aforementioned symptoms through a bad connection or internally frayed wire. No dice.

-Cannot clear RAM by holding 5 and 8 on boot, or see firmware version by holding 1 and 2 on boot
HappyFunTimes

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:07 pm

I'd snag it for parts alone. $50 could be had by selling a few keys and the joystick.

If you plan on fixing it, I'm pretty sure I've read about similar issues in other threads/forums.

I bought one recently which ended up having an issue with the regulators. If you're saying that all checks out, then it could be something more severe......or it could just need a tape dump.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby tom Cadillac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 am

Depends also if you know a synth repair guy who's good. Tracking down the source of unpredictable malfunctions is hard I think.I'm on my 2nd DW8000 now - it's a great synth - but so poorly made - just cheap and prone to break. My current one's just developed a sticky key type fault - I've already had the keybed gone over once! So I wouldn't get to over involved in trying to keep it alive - anyways $50 is a fair price.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)
tom Cadillac

Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Postby HappyFunTimes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:41 pm

tom Cadillac wrote:Depends also if you know a synth repair guy who's good. Tracking down the source of unpredictable malfunctions is hard I think.I'm on my 2nd DW8000 now - it's a great synth - but so poorly made - just cheap and prone to break. My current one's just developed a sticky key type fault - I've already had the keybed gone over once! So I wouldn't get to over involved in trying to keep it alive - anyways $50 is a fair price.

I was kind of hoping it would be some easy fix. I like the price, but I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to fix.
HappyFunTimes

Return to Buyer's Guide