Would you buy this (mostly functional) korg polysix?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Would you buy this (mostly functional) korg polysix?

Postby HappyFunTimes » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm considering purchasing a used "mostly functional" polysix, but it does have problems. Just wanted to know if this sounds like a money pit, or a good investment.

This is the description the seller gave. I haven't been able to look at it in person yet:

The problems:

One button is held onto the chassis by tape (see picture). There are a few scrapes on the wood panels. The VCO panel is unresponsive to live tweeking, although when switching patches the VCO controls are effected and can change. There are some tuning issues between large octaves, and its a little noisey. The battery has been replaced.

Do these problems sound like easy fixes to you? How much would you pay?
HappyFunTimes

Re: Would you buy this (mostly functional) korg polysix?

Postby Z » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Most I'd pay is $200. Then buy the KiwiSix kit and replace the original mainboard which might have battery damage with the Kiwi's board.

There might still be more issues, but should be more than a couple hundred to fix.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby madtheory » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I second that. Those problems are most likely caused by battery damage. Or maybe they're aren't, in which case you'd be really, really lucky to get it for $200. If I was the SELLER I'd be getting the thing repaired and flipped.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby HappyFunTimes » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Z wrote:Most I'd pay is $200. Then buy the KiwiSix kit and replace the original mainboard which might have battery damage with the Kiwi's board.

There might still be more issues, but should be more than a couple hundred to fix.

He's asking $400. I thought it was a little much for something that will probably need a new mainboard, and maybe other stuff. I was thinking $250 sounded fair, but I doubt I will get him to take it.
HappyFunTimes

Postby HappyFunTimes » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 pm

madtheory wrote:I second that. Those problems are most likely caused by battery damage. Or maybe they're aren't, in which case you'd be really, really lucky to get it for $200. If I was the SELLER I'd be getting the thing repaired and flipped.

Thanks for the insight.
HappyFunTimes

Postby Pro5 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:05 am

Bad advice. Even the chips inside a polysix are worth near $600 on their own these days. You could buy it for $400 and part it out and make back 3 times your money. So it's worth the risk as you can just put a kiwisix board in (£300) and have it working/mostly working, fix the rest and have a near $2000 synth to sell (the price some kiwisixed polysixes are now going for).

No seller with half a brain would let even a battery damaged, but nice cosmetics/all parts there, polysix go for less than half the price of a fixed up one due to the rare parts and SSM chips + other valuables that could easily be parted out! So look around $600 and fit the kiwi board and you still saved over buying a fully fixed one. You are actually lucky to find a damaged one as these work out cheaper to buy + kiwi these days (and other than the battery leak they are pretty reliable once serviced and keybed cleaned/new contacts)
Prophet Rev2 | Polysix | Moog S.P | JD-800 | Crumar Performer | DX7-IID
My Prophet rev2 & other synth sound demos on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/pro5/sets
Pro5

Gear: Prophet Rev2 | Polysix | JD-800 | MOOG S.P | Performer | DX7 II-D

Postby Pro5 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 am

HappyFunTimes wrote:
Z wrote:Most I'd pay is $200. Then buy the KiwiSix kit and replace the original mainboard which might have battery damage with the Kiwi's board.

He's asking $400. I thought it was a little much for something that will probably need a new mainboard, and maybe other stuff. I was thinking $250 sounded fair, but I doubt I will get him to take it.

This is a polysix you are talking about, not some alpha juno 2. The polysix are increasingly going up in value, as a discreet oscillator VCO synth with stunning SSM filters, as I said above, $400 may sound a lot to you if you don't know about synths, but it's really not, that's cheap NOW that kiwisix is readily available! Time was we had no solution but to fix the original boards sometimes easy sometimes impossible so it was a risk, so prices were lower, but when kiwisix arrived it meant even battery damaged sixe's were worth a lot more as they could be up and running for £300 guaranteed ( so long as the rest of the board checked out and most polysixes do! very reliable in general). And the going price is now over $1000 for even a standard/working Polysix, and kiwi'd polysix can go for another $500-$1000 more (in TOP condition and on the right day). So you see, any polysix below a certain price is a bargain.

Still one of my favourite synths and would take it over Jupiter 6, Juno 6/60/106 and JX-3p/8P and plenty of other old DCO and VCO synths (even dual oscs).
Prophet Rev2 | Polysix | Moog S.P | JD-800 | Crumar Performer | DX7-IID
My Prophet rev2 & other synth sound demos on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/pro5/sets
Pro5

Gear: Prophet Rev2 | Polysix | JD-800 | MOOG S.P | Performer | DX7 II-D

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 am

Alpha Juno 2s go for more than $250 now...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby jxalex » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:59 pm

no more than 250 EUR together with shipping. THere is still huge work awaiting.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:24 am

The Polysix isn't worth the hassle.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Jeanpou » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 am

The polysix is one of those synth with truly (sorry for the cliché but no idea how to explain) organic, warm, 3d, analog vintagish psychedelic sauce. this synth make you think twice before buying a modern analog, and assure you that vst have still a long way to go to compete with analog hardware in some case. (Fyi i use and love some VST)
Back to the OP
If you can get it at 250$, amazing.
If you can get it at 400$, still amazing.
I know the real value of this gem, personnaly i would go even up to 800$ for a polysix with a few problems if its in a cosmetically good condition. Don't listen to people that tell you i doesn't worth the assle..
Jeanpou

Return to Buyer's Guide