Sub Phatty vintage 80s bass sounds?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Bootsy

Sub Phatty vintage 80s bass sounds?

Post by Bootsy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi All,
I'm a working bassist who's made the jump to synth bass, I will only ever be using the synth for basslines live and in studio so I dont need a hugely fully featured synth, what I really really need is a synth that can recreate or get quite close to the classic minimoog bass sounds as heard on man in the mirror, whitneys wanna dance with somebody/how will I know etc, I'm currently using a bass station 2 and I really like it however it just cant quite GET those classic moog sounds and tends to be a little bit "sterile" on the bass end (just my opinion).

As Moog's are nearly impossible to get where I'm based I pretty much have to buy without trying one, I'm currently very very interested in the Sub Phatty but I cant find any decent BASS oriented demos to make a comparison with, so my main question is can the sub phatty reproduce a bass sound even remotely like the classic sounds I've mentioned?

These are roughly examples of the kind of sounds I'm looking for (this is a Little Phatty)

thank you all in advance

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Sub Phatty vintage 80s bass sounds?

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Yes, SubPhatty can make those sounds. What you are misisng with your BS is a real Moog filter. Both those examples are easy to create on almost any Moog.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:30 am

meatballfulton wrote:Yes, SubPhatty can make those sounds. What you are misisng with your BS is a real Moog filter. Both those examples are easy to create on almost any Moog.
+1... I owned a Little Phatty a few years ago and recreate the sounds you are looking for with relative ease. I've demoed a Sub Phatty a couple of times as well. Either one could easily replicate what you want.

Bootsy

Post by Bootsy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies/advice!
Thats exactly what I needed to know

cheers