MIDI keyboard advice?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

MIDI keyboard advice?

Postby ian » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:43 am

Hey y'all,
Been a minute since I have been on site, hope everyone is well. After years of paying my dues, I have my own company now and have been reinvesting in hardware; despite the best interest of my romantic relationship I have gone a bit crazy. Anyway, I am hoping for advice on a midi controller/ keyboard to run hardware with. I have 0% interest in DAW's... Looking for a controller to run gear, only. I have an Arturia keystep that I love and planning on getting a beat step pro... Looking for something with 49 or plus keys with after touch that doesn't break the bank but is not cheap either ( a.k.a. I want aftertouch) I have heard some bad things about the Arturia Keylabs, which was my planned purchase... Any advice would be great. I know Akai has a new-ish controller that has some CV outs that look cool but limited ( can t remember name ...mpk49(?) ) I love that idea but understand that it is limited... Wondering f I can get away with all the CV on the Beat/keysteps... Just need some more range on keys and can use a midi solutions type splitter box. Sorry if this sounds scattered, any advice will be great. Thank you!
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Re: MIDI keyboard advice?

Postby ian » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:25 pm

To give you a better idea my hardware is such....

Korg Ms-20 mini
Yamaha Reface DX
Kawai 1 ii
Kawai 3
Yamaha sk-20
Korg Volca bass
Roland TR-707
Arturia micro brute
MIDI Solutions quad port
Arturia keystep
A lot of different Makie mixing boards
Powered speakers
Many loop pedals, EHX memory man, 80's rack unit multi FX, compressor, other fx, about 15 junky Yamaha/Casio keyboards ( love em) , acoustic drum set, bass guitars, guitars, amps etc.

On the way...

Arturia beat step pro
Arturia drum brute

Hopefully on the way ...

EHX Clockworks
EHX 8 step seq

What midi keyboard?

Should I get another couple keysteps instead?

Still want to have some finger stretch
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.

Re: MIDI keyboard advice?

Postby ian » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Forgot the ever important moogerfooger murf
ian

Return to Buyer's Guide