Decisions decisions

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ByteMe2Day
Gear: Too many synths to list!

Decisions decisions

Post by ByteMe2Day » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 am

Hi out there!

I'm looking at a couple of synths because I have GAS.
I already have quite a bit but find I have the itch to get more.
So here's my considerations:

1. Korg Minilogue (I like the features & flexibility but I'm not dying for it.)
2. Novation Bass Station 2 (I like the price & sound but have a Minitaur, Minibrute, & DSI Mopho desktop (and an Ultranova))
3. Korg MS-20 (Patchability a huge plus and the classic sound but v/Oct-v/Hertz conversion dulls it (I have the MS-20 iOS app))
4. Roland System 1 (looks nice but I'm worried about the future and the need for non compliant USB drivers)
5. Waldorf Blofeld desktop (swaying in that direction but uninterested in paying for sample license or an editor. I also thought there were lots of bugs a while back.)

What do you think?
I already own most Volcas, K4, DW-8000, DX7, AN1x, X5d, Micron, SY85, Werkstatt, CZ-101, MS2Kr, JP-8080, and the Arturia V-collection.
I'd get them all but then I'd have to get the Odyssey and I already have all of Korg's iOS apps.
I guess I could make a Gofundme page to help cure my Jones but sensibility says get one.
My better half is saying save for a proper Moog.
Last edited by ByteMe2Day on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Decisions decisions

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:19 pm

ByteMe2Day wrote:My better half is saying save for a proper Moog.
She's right. ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

ByteMe2Day wrote:3. Korg MS-20 (Patchability a huge plus and the classic sound but v/Oct-v/Hertz conversion dulls it (I have the MS-20 iOS app))
The new MS-20s (eg. MS-20M kit) will do both Hz/V and V/Oct. Plus, it has a few additional features not available in the old Korgs:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-ms20m-sq1

I used Korg MS20 VSTi years ago; the real thing sounds and behaves quite differently.

But aye, Moog. :D

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Well, I can't argue with saving for a Moog :D But of those, I'd definitely go for the MS-20. I can't speak for the distinction between the real deal and the VST since I don't have an iWhatever, but it's just such a damned fun little beast to sit down and play around with and explore. I've made whole tracks just sitting down and discovering new sounds as I go.

(Also, you can coax some truly kickass drum sounds out of it, particularly when you bring the patch bay, the resonant HPF, and ring-mod into the mix.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ByteMe2Day
Gear: Too many synths to list!

Post by ByteMe2Day » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I like the MS-20 kit but for that price, I may as well put a bit more in and go with a Sub-37.
I never considered the System 1 but it's looking more attractive after watching a few demo videos.
My budget was around $500 but I'm thinking I should break the bank and go for the gusto.
I'm also a bit reluctant to buy used if it's over $500 or if the price is close to the retail price.
I was also considering a Waldorf Pulse 2 but thought the Blofeld would be unique to my collection.