Best synth for gig (neo soul music)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Pianoman0018
Gear: Nord Stage 2 , Fender Rhodes Mk2 suitcase, Wurlitzer 200a, Clavinet d6, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond XK3C

Best synth for gig (neo soul music)

Post by Pianoman0018 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello
I am new to the synth world
I have a moog little phatty and im looking to buy a polyphonic synth
The style of music im playing is neo soul / nujazz and staff like this ( hiatus kaiyote , robert glasper etc)
So at the beginning i wanted to buy a korg ms2000 but i found the sound very thin plus its the same price with the new Korg Minilogue! Some other friends telling me about roland jd-xi hat fat sounds
Now i found a prophet 08 and im really confused whats better for the music im playing?
Any help would be appreciated

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Best synth for gig (neo soul music)

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 pm

The Minilogue is only 4 voices, which means you will only be able to play 4 notes at a time! So if you're using any complex jazz chords, expect voice stealing while you play, which could ruin your piece. I'm not too familiar with the artists you mentioned, so it's hard to say if that will be a problem for you.

Synths from the MS 2000's era sometimes require a little programming to beef them up. I know with the radias, you can stack the voices in a number of ways, but on their own they're no moog.

If you're looking for something closer to the moog sound, and away from the ms2000 sound, I would think the prophet would be a better bet than the roland. I think the jdxi has a lot of VA (albeit great VA) technology, while the Prophet has some nice analog oscillators. I think it would come down to price though at that point, so that you're not bitten by the law of diminishing returns!

Have you looked any of the other DSI/sequential synths? Some additional rock solid, gigable VA synths include the various Nord keyboards, and the many iterations of the Access Virus line. Also, what if you went vintage? That might be a better studio choice, as opposed to a gig choice. Finally, since you're asking on VSE, you might want to look at the Roland V synth. ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Pianoman0018
Gear: Nord Stage 2 , Fender Rhodes Mk2 suitcase, Wurlitzer 200a, Clavinet d6, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond XK3C

Re: Best synth for gig (neo soul music)

Post by Pianoman0018 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello and thanks for your answer
I have also a nord stage 2 which im using for rhodes, hammond , clavinet etc
The synth i want to buy its gonna be my second keyboard for pads leads etc
I also looked at the new behringer synth deepmind 12 , i must say i liked it and its on my list