Apps for synth build-it-yourself.. what do you think?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Apps for synth build-it-yourself.. what do you think?

Postby briandc » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:25 am

Yes, I don't think there's a way for it to used on any linux distro if the app is "looking for Windows 7 or better."
Like I say, it's the first time I've had this type of thing happen. Pretty strange.

I'm having success with the HG Fortune synths though, and there's some pretty unusual modulation capability there. Kind of the "traditional" subtractive synth, with a few added "twists." I usually start out by reducing the modulation just to hear what the oscillators sound like, and then play around with the modulation options. CPU usage is much better now compared to a few years back, although my experience with Wine was a bit more limited and I might've had some settings adjusted incorrectly.

Anyone here ever built a softsynth? What was it like? Do you use it in your work?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Postby CS_TBL » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:16 am

Ages ago I made this softsynth in (basic) C++. It's a 6-op FM synth with a fixed algorithm (4-stack + 2-stack), reverb, a 303'esque sequencer and some really odd functions. It pre-calculates sounds upon which I use them in a tracker. I used it alongside a synth made by a colleague back then, but based on a concept by me (it made perfectly looping pads).

Ticks 'n pops in the Universe screensaver or not my doings, but those of a coder who thought that converting floats to ints was a good idea, resulting in loop addresses that are slightly off.

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby briandc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm

CS_TBL wrote:Ages ago I made this softsynth in (basic) C++. It's a 6-op FM synth with a fixed algorithm (4-stack + 2-stack), reverb, a 303'esque sequencer and some really odd functions. It pre-calculates sounds upon which I use them in a tracker. I used it alongside a synth made by a colleague back then, but based on a concept by me (it made perfectly looping pads).

Ticks 'n pops in the Universe screensaver or not my doings, but those of a coder who thought that converting floats to ints was a good idea, resulting in loop addresses that are slightly off.

Watch on youtube.com

Watch on youtube.com

Thanks for the demos CS! I've been away for the forum these past few weeks and just had a listen. Very nice work! The synth you made has a nice range of capabilities in it. (BTW, what ever happened to that synth??)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Postby CS_TBL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Nothing. It's probably 'somewhere' on an old back-up CDr that may or may not even work anymore. I don't have it handy here at least. And basically, a few things aside, FM8 covers the load anyway.

Don't romanticise that old tool too much btw, it was so butt ugly that I alone could operate it in a way that made sense. ;) However, it still has something special I haven't seen since in any VST, and it's a rad effect that allowed me to make cymbals, choirs, ambient pads 'n such. ;)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Mainly FM8

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:25 am

Geez, what a small world... Of course half the demoscene is present in this forum too. :P
CS_TBL, excuse the offtopic question, but do you still happen to have the original IT files from some of your older tracks like Son of Uluru or Dance For The Sun? Maybe on some other old back-up CDr? :D I'd love to have a peek at them.
ʝɵʝɵ

Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Postby CS_TBL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi,

No doubt I've these files somewhere, but were're talking 15 years ago by now, and I haven't really described my back-up CDs/DVDs in all detail! ;) Furthermore: for those songs there's no such thing as 'an IT file'. Those tracks were based on multiple IT files, mixed together in Vegas.

And as far as being interesting: not really. They were basically produced like I still would today (but nowadays using reViSiT and a load o' VSTs). I did have a vast library of sounds back then, so it's really more about being impressed by sound rather than by trickery. I don't really use much trickery anyway, it tends to cost lots of time, it ruins your overview and isn't very flexible when you want to change things.
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Mainly FM8

Postby ʝɵʝɵ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah, I think the NFO for Dance For The Sun mentioned that it consisted of three IT files and that surprised me at the time I read it. :mrgreen: Did you render the other IT files to WAV and then included them in a separate track so that you would know what would be going on in the other files, or how did you work with this limitation? It seems quite like a complicated workflow if you cannot hear the full composition at all times.
ʝɵʝɵ

Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Postby CS_TBL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Likely. Either I used multiple IT files for different sections in time (like a busy section and a slow section), or it's like really doing multiple tracks and hearing them work together during the mixing stage.

I've done songs based on like five or more loose IT files even. It basically meant that one IT file contained all the ideas, but with limited/basic instruments (it was all about the 99 samples limitation, after all). Later IT files contained only e.g. the violin sections, for which I've loaded large instruments, and all that got together in the mixing stage. I went as far as loading string sections and solo strings from multiple libraries in order to create a lush sound with some minor timing errors and other performance 'flaws'. But it can always be worse: based on core ideas, I've also added layers based on VSL-articulations. Meaning: loading legato transitions 'n such, which basically meant recreating a whole melody with custom picked sounds. In other words, in the early 00's and in a 'DAW' that was totally not up to it, I was already doing things that only today are sort of normal.

It was tedious, that's true. It meant that, once I started to expand to dedicated instrument IT files, the ideas in the core IT file had to be locked, obviously.

These days those problems are over; reViSiT is IT-based and functions as a plug-in, controlling virtual instruments through a host.
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Mainly FM8

Postby Zamise » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey CS_TBL... um... your name happen to stand for The Black Lotus? Alway my fav demos... Stash all time fav, size wise. That stuff takes me way back.

I did some synthedit stuff a while back, some parts I did I thought were impressive and different to the normal SE stuff, not that anyone else would have noticed, so they do kind of all become pretty identical sounding and working and looking making them obviously SE built VST synths.

It would be neat to work on something that wasn't so obvious but I don't have the time or patience like I use to do that sort of stuff.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby CS_TBL » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes, The Black Lotus.

The sleeping gods.

My own synth engine was far more advanced than the Jizz/Stash engine. Also far more ugly in terms of code, but hey.. it had to be made withinin three weeks o' time for a screensaver for Hewlett Packard.
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Mainly FM8

Postby Zamise » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:12 am

I was highly impressed by all demos of that era and amazed to kind of meet someone involved in any of it just now here. I know you've been on VSE a long time too and I may have even asked you at some point before because I think a may be have a deja vu moment. Anyhow, are they still doing anything like that scene now days that you are involved in too? It would also be interesting to hear how demo's like those were coordinated, coded, put together and done back in those days. In my book that is some of the most impressive stuff ever done with sound and computers.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby CS_TBL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

The 90's were fun, that's right, those were the days of inventing new effects things. After that things split up. You either had the real number crunchers who started pre-calculating things (textures, sounds, paths, scenes), resulting in spectacular 64k intros, and there were the productions that had more in common with professional videos. The latter are more like having a 3DS-Max replayer where the whole thing is basically a designer-show but with real time objects rather than renders. I kind of lost interest in the latter. I kind of like how the 64K intros are now like the classic demos, and the current 4K intros yield the same amazement we once had for precalculated 64K intros.

I don't know how projects like those (and those from the 90's) were coordinated. It's just that coders invented effects, and then turned them into something they could connect to a timer and a script to change parts and to apply movements/rotation etc.

I think there's still some Amiga activity @ TBL, but the PC section is as good as dead, I think.
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Mainly FM8

Postby Zamise » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for the replies CS_TBL!

I was looking at reVisit you mentioned and it looks really cool. Reminded me of old tracker called ModPlug that I prefered over Impulse because, if I remember right, it was native windows instead of DOS, anyhow, so I looked it up just now and it evolved in to OpenMPT which looks to be pretty dang cool too. It supposedly can be a DAW host... I've got try some of these things out again after all these years, they've advanced quite a bit but still some of the same old cool things I remember from back in the day, might be some fun.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers