Mixing advice please,plugins, tips etc

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Mixing advice please,plugins, tips etc

Postby Factory all stars » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi all,i am new to all this as am firstly a guitarist,but was also brought up/lived through the acid house scene of latde 80s/early 90s England, just need some advice,i have ableton[steep learning curve haha] ms 20 mini, vermona mono lancet,PG8X and TAL UNO 62[ABL3 bass synth incoming], I can make tunes up no sweat,80s acid house,early 80s electro,Terminator style stuff,but have trouble mixing it to give it more of a retro feel[Com Truise type vibe], etc, and wonder what plugins would I be needing,compressor for drums?, EQ?etc,Also want it to sound warmer, maybe a tape emulator plugin? I know there is effects in ableton[I have lite btw,free with my soundcard] but apart from glue,and tape,dont like the effects,am also guessing there is better ones than glue and tape out there haha, CHEERS
Factory all stars

Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Re: Mixing advice please,plugins, tips etc

Postby Factory all stars » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:06 pm

no-one? GREAT! :lol:
Factory all stars

Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:06 pm

this isn't exactly the best place to look for VST plugin suggestions.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Factory all stars » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am

Ashe37 wrote:this isn't exactly the best place to look for VST plugin suggestions.
then why does it say under the forum SOFTWARE SYNTHESIZERS; For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear? I thought if 200+ people bothered to read it,some would have replied! Not to worry
Factory all stars

Postby madtheory » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm

But you were not asking about synths...
Factory all stars wrote:...and wonder what plugins would I be needing,compressor for drums?, EQ?etc,Also want it to sound warmer, maybe a tape emulator plugin? I know there is effects in ableton[I have lite btw,free with my soundcard] but apart from glue,and tape,dont like the effects,am also guessing there is better ones than glue and tape out there haha, CHEERS

The Ableton plugins are good. The trick is being good at mixing. Ableton probably is better for composing than it is for real tweaky mixing, although plenty of folk do their mixing in it. If you want to try something else, export as a multi-track and try Reaper, Logic, Pro Tools etc.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Factory all stars » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Maybe I should have fired it in the sound production section[just noticed it]still, I am askin about software plugins, hence why I posted where I did.Maybe if it was the wrong section,a mod should have moved it?
Factory all stars

Postby madtheory » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Maybe repost? But it's still not gonna make you mixes better. This is a great book IMO. The chapter on how to use a compressor really really works. All of my students who did this lesson became adept at compression. And that was with the Avid compressor in Pro Tools, which is not great sounding, but very flexible. If you know how to use it, it is perfectly good :)
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/

It is great on philosophy of mixing.

This is a bit tougher to read (very dense language) but the exercises are excellent. Learn to use an eq, a compressor, etc. But you'll need the book for the instructions on how to use the online practice modules:
https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/ja ... r-training

This guy is very good too. Check his Facebook for "free" advice:
http://www.kennymania.com/
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Factory all stars » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanx a lot,will do
Factory all stars

Postby briandc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:28 pm

I was pointed to these podcasts today. At least the first 7 or 8 episodes are recommended.
themasteringshow

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Return to Software Synthesizers