Roland's Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and System-8 plugins available

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
desmond

Re: Roland's Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and System-8 plugins availa

Post by desmond » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 am

D-Collector wrote:The general concensus on facebook and most of the forums is that this is a disaster...
I watched the hour long Namm presentation they did about the Cloud thing. It was so vague I didn't really have any idea about what it actually *was*. I went to the site and signed up, and the site was poor, and had very little there other than to make an account at the time.

Not exactly a good way to launch something they seemed quite bullish about...!
D-Collector wrote:I think they are going to have to backtrack once again. They will not benefit from this.
Maybe, or maybe they will plugin away improving the products, making things people want, and adding value to he Cloud service which makes it more attractive to people. At this stage, I veer toward the former opinion but I'm always happy to be proved wrong over time...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't have a problem with Roland Cloud - Think about it this way:

In my case for example, the price of the System-100 Plug-Out/VST/AU is £148... One years subscription is £186, but you get to keep the System 100 software after a year, so the difference in reality is £38 (73p per week) for a years worth of using all the other Plug-Outs.

What's to gripe about?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon May 22, 2017 4:27 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Get used to more subscription plans as time goes on. It solves a problem for the vendors, namely getting people to buy upgrades.
Have to say in the industry I work in most companies and people are sticking with the last software version pre subscription rollout. Nobody upgrades to the subs one unless they absolutely have to.

It gives the companies a bad rep. But don't think Roland has much to worry about there tho :roll:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

The common model for the last few decades has been you bought software but you don't really own it (read the licesnse agreement...you bought a license) and then buy upgrades as time goes on. At some point you have to upgrade because your computer dies, your new one has a more recent OS and won't run all your old software. So you pay $$$$ upfront and then lesser $$ (but still sizable) whenever you upgrade.

The subscription model has been around for industrial software a long time. As a working electrical engineer, all the software tools I used were bought as expensive per-computer annual licenses ($15,000 a year for a single computer license wasn't unheard of). Vendors finally shifted to offering shorter term (monthly, weekly, even daily) licenses because early in an engineering project you might only need a dozen licenses while at the end of the project you might need a hundred. Rather than paying for a hundred all year (too expensive) you paid for it based on your dynamic usage.

Now that idea has come to consumer software...vendors see people paying for phone plans, cable TV, etc. and all that stuff is on subscription. If you had told me as a teenager in 1967 I'd pay $200 a month to watch television I would have thought you were insane. But that's exactly what I do today. Subscriptions and the cloud go hand in hand...think Spotify as a good example. You have client software on your computer, phone or tablet but all the content is in the cloud. The pricing is decent, $10 a month is only $120 a year...that's what I would pay for just a CD per month over that same time.

The thing about the Roland deal is the price is in my opinion too high...$5 or maybe $10 a month, I'd think about it but $30 is far too high. After three years I've spent over $1000...I can buy into NI Komplete for less than that.

Apple meanwhile has gone in completely the opposite direction...Logic is now only $200, making it cheaper than any of it's DAW competition but there are no more upgrade deals, you simply pay $200 again for each new version. For example, Cubase 9 is $580, upgrades depend on the previous version you own, from $99 if you owned v8, $250 :shock: if you owned v7 to $300 if you owned v4, v5 or v6. :pissed: And Mainstage which gives you all the instruments (including Alchemy which sold by itself for $250) and loops from Logic minus the actual DAW is only $30 :yahoo: That Apple pricing starts looking really good, doesn't it? :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 am

meatballfulton wrote:Apple meanwhile has gone in completely the opposite direction...Logic is now only $200, making it cheaper than any of it's DAW competition but there are no more upgrade deals, you simply pay $200 again for each new version.
Plus you have to pay a handsome price for the hardware for Logic to run on ;)

BTW, I'm not complaining - I switched to Mac many moons ago. As long as Roland Cloud continue to update for future OS'es, I'm fine with that - What I don't like, is when manufacturers suddenly, and without any warning, drop support for a particular OS, rendering software/hardware drivers totally useless - I invested heavily in Creamware/Soniccore's Scope system, only to get my fingers burnt :evil:

At least the System 8 doesn't RELY on software to use it.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 am

I ran Logic studio on my G3 'tll recently. Never HAD to upgrade. When it died I got a new mac and was OK with buying the latest Logic [not done it yet], moving backups over etc. But what disappointed me was Novation stopped support for the X-Station so now need to get a new audio interface as well.

TBH the X-Station is old but I can't be the only person who'd like to carry in using it to record music. I really loath this software rental thing though. Adobe..

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Like jaypodesta's X-Station, I'm awaiting the day that the FW interface on my Motif XF is no longer supported by Yamaha (I'm sure this will happen within 5 years if not sooner) at which point I will lose major funtionality when I eventually have to upgrade my Mac.

I'm glad most mfrs are moving to USB class compliance. Yamaha's new Montage has a similar USB based MIDI/audio interface on board and it is class compliant.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 pm

And now the D-50 is available too.