Dead or Alive 80's delayed sound

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Tharpasaurus

Dead or Alive 80's delayed sound

Post by Tharpasaurus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:22 am

Hey everybody,

Does anyone here know how to dial in the sound from dead or alive's "Misty Circles" from the turn around section at about 1:25? I can't dial in the basic sound or the actual timing. It's an odd thing, it sounds like it may just be sequenced 16ths or a doubled delay on a saw sound? Does anybody have insight into this?

I've heard this sound many times before, but the only other close example I can think of right now would be perturbator's tune "Perturbator's Theme". That sound picks up right away and is a little more sequenced to my ears.

desmond

Re: Dead or Alive 80's delayed sound

Post by desmond » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Sounds to me more like 8th notes played, with a 16th note delay (so the delay fills in the 16ths to the 8th note part).

The second track is an arpeggiator set to 16ths.

Tharpasaurus

Post by Tharpasaurus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:40 pm

I tried both the delay and sequencing 16ths and they sound similar depending on how you mix the delay, so I got that pretty close. I put together the closest I could come up with in a day but I think the tone is too pretty, it's too bell like. In the DOA track it has a much darker and aggressive sound. It sounds very harsh and sequenced, i love that type of sound.

Here is my version, just a scratch track trying to get that tone down:

https://soundcloud.com/ru-ga-ru/getting-my-ideas-down

Any idea on the synth/tone they would have used?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Instead of using a decaying sound with a sharp attack, i.e. bell-like, try a gate-type envelope with a slightly softer attack and adjust the gate time (note duration / time between note on and note off) in your sequencer.
GC

Tharpasaurus

Post by Tharpasaurus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:42 pm

When you say gate type, do you mean with a sharp release? I'll give that a try. I think the tone might be somewhere in between a standard saw wave and a brass tone with some modulation as well. I'm still tweaking it to try to get the tone closer.

Tharpasaurus

Post by Tharpasaurus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 am

I am almost there, the envelope suggestion was great. It is still lacking the crunchy brightness that original has but I'm satisfied for now. I'll keep tweaking at it and see if I can get it crunchier. I was able to get it with UVI Emulator 2 preset "midi stack" with a little grit a 1/4 delay and some EQ.

Here is the most recent version. It's ratty, very much the style of the original track.

https://soundcloud.com/ru-ga-ru/getting-my-ideas-down-2

Thanks gcoudert and desmond for helping me out!

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am

Tharpasaurus wrote:When you say gate type, do you mean with a sharp release? I'll give that a try. I think the tone might be somewhere in between a standard saw wave and a brass tone with some modulation as well. I'm still tweaking it to try to get the tone closer.
Yes, that's what I mean. Now shorten the gate (hold) time for shorter notes, decrease the filter envelope sustain a bit, add a little attack and decay for that brassy feeling. Detune your saw waves, assign velocity to filter cutoff, adjust resonance to add a little 'squelch' and a 16th-note single-repeat delay to add some bounce.
GC