VCV Modular -- and it's FREE!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

VCV Modular -- and it's FREE!

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 pm

New free software modular, the VCV Rack. It's standalone only right now but a VST/AU wrapper is promised. I've downloaded it and it definitely works although it's not perfect.

Only one filter so far is the big one. You will use lots of multiples! Just a simple 2 VCO, 1 VCF, 1 VCA, 1 EG patch required 3 of them just like a real modular :? I haven't yet found a MIDI Learn function to map controllers, so it's all mouse and trackpad for now. Since it's open source, users can roll their own modules...an enhanced MIDI interface with CC outputs would certainly help.

Good news: the filter will self oscillate all on it's own with no input which is rare in softsynths and simple FM seems to be free of aliasing.

Watch on youtube.com
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: VCV Modular -- and it's FREE!

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Autodafe has an extra bunch of modules in a few free module packs too...

https://www.autodafe.net/virtual-instru ... dules.html
desmond

Postby briandc » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:32 pm

A few more modules:

LOG

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:10 am

I've been using it on an iMac. It's overly sensitive to the mouse, often my mouse actions cause the screen to scroll up and down or left and right when I'm trying to control a knob. Anyone else seeing this?

That's been annoying me quite a bit, reminds me how I hate skeumorphism. I hope the VST/AU wrapper comes soon, it would be nice to be able to access the knobs from my MIDI controller instead of using the mouse.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Bitexion » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Another issue is that half of the face buttons on the Mutable instruments modules do nothing. They've just put the code in there but not replicated the button functions.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Return to Software Synthesizers