UVI Vintage Vault/Vintage Vault 2

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

UVI Vintage Vault/Vintage Vault 2

Postby thefonz003 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:45 pm

The price is steep but ever since I first read about Vintage Vault last month I've been awestruck. Is it really as good as it sounds?

Also, what about other UVI products like Sparkverb and Falcon?
thefonz003

Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Re: UVI Vintage Vault/Vintage Vault 2

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:15 pm

My experience is particularly with the Digital synsations 'soundware'

As long as you just want to play the presets they made, sure. You can adjust the filter BUT even if they multi sampled the filter on the original instruments, the structure of the original filter isn't there. You can't create entirely new patches.

(Sorry, I got it with high hopes for the Ensoniq VFX, and... you can't even really program the VFX on it. And it cuts it down to two standard four-stage envelopes.)
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby madtheory » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Agreed. Digital Synsations is very limited. And very poor value for money at the current selling price.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby desmond » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:54 pm

madtheory wrote:Digital Synsations is very limited. And very poor value for money at the current selling price.

I got it free, in one of their promotions. To be honest, even free it's pretty poor value for money!

Their guis are nice, and they do make you want to have them, but I've found their utility is not great. They typically amount to a small number of sample patches (not the original synth's presets, new patches), where you can modify some basic parameters on top (envelopes, filters etc). They do sound good though.

And while it might seem like a lot of sounds, in Digital Synsations for example, which has four instruments - each instrument has only 10-15 patches in any given category. So it doesn't seem like you get that much, for the disk space used.

Ymmv of course, but if I was going to spend a sizeable chunk of change of a bunch of vintage synth sounds, I'd spend it elsewhere...
desmond

Postby madtheory » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Agreed (ya I got it free too). A Google search will get you all of those smaller sample producers out there. I'm not gonna list them all here. Kontakt is the most common platform. Just dig a little deeper on the www. UVI advertise heavily and they're definitely NOT the best sample producer in the vintage synth game.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I've had experience with a number of sample-based emulations of vintage synths, some for hardware samplers and some for software. The quality ranges all over the map. Samples with filter effects baked in (like most of the free sample sets that come with magazines) are by far the worst.

As noted above, once you start tweaking the filter on the sampler it will not have the same flavor as the original synth but if the sound designers are clever they can come up with some impressive patches. I always start with presets and tweak from there rather than trying to make my own sounds from the ground up.

Quality VA emulations like Diva and Monark leave the sample based approach in the dust, but they use a lot of CPU to get the sound. There's a lot of them out there from free to $$$$$, usually they get the GUI to look just like the original and the sound is secondary :|
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby madtheory » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Monark is great alright. Three problem with modelled synths:

1. Not every synth has been modelled, and not all of the models are good. Notable synths that have not been modelled (for me) include Ensoniq SQ80 (the free SQ80L is no longer supported, and doesn't sound exactly like the original) and Korg DW8000. There are some good modelled stringers, but some of the sampled versions are superior IME.

2. Modelled stuff can be expensive. Eg Arturia- mostly great, but it's a big investment if you want them all (and who doesn't LOL).

3. Sometimes sampling is appropriate, e.g. Mellotron, Chamberlin.

So OK here are some of my favourite producers of vintage synth and keyboard sample sets for Kontakt:
http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/products.html
http://www.synthmagic.co.uk/store.html
http://www.hollowsun.com/hs2/products.htm
http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/keyboard-vault
http://www.samplekatra.com/
http://store.precisionsound.net/
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products

And this blog always has good stuff promoted, often free stuff:
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/

PS I sell vintage keyboard samples too :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm

a precisely modelled VFX would be great.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby thefonz003 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 am

Well, I have to say I'm a bit bummed after reading this thread. No, I didn't buy it, lol, but I LOVE how it's laid out synth-by-synth with similar-ish synths forming their own categories, and I also like how it uses high-quality multisamples of the originals.
thefonz003

Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 am

thefonz003 wrote:Well, I have to say I'm a bit bummed after reading this thread. No, I didn't buy it, lol, but I LOVE how it's laid out synth-by-synth with similar-ish synths forming their own categories, and I also like how it uses high-quality multisamples of the originals.

Yep, but if you're looking for high quality multisamples of the presets that are best known for these synths... it aint the place to get em.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby madtheory » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:56 am

What synths in particular the UVI collection are grabbing your attention?

There's no synth in there that you couldn't get somewhere else. For example:
Casio CZ: Oli Larkin Virtual CZ, the links I posted already, and my own set (I also sell Casio VZ and Roland D50).
Yamaha CS series: Arturia CS80
Korg DW: see links I posted already
Ensoniq SQ80: see links I posted already
Yamaha FM: Native instruments FM8
MiniMoog: There are loads, my fave is Monark
ARP 2600: Arturia is my fave coz it has the sequencer.
PPG Wave series: Waldorf Wave 2.3 has Wavecomputer 360 waveforms included
Emu Emulator II: Rhythmic Robot, and you could convert the disk images yourself using EMXP.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Software Synthesizers