Arturia and their ‘throw away’ approach to hardware

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Arturia and their ‘throw away’ approach to hardware

Postby Toris » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 am

Contacted Arturia this week to try and get a few replacement encoders for my old minilab and was told…

“I am very sorry, but we do not send out spare parts for the MINILab as it is more expensive (the shipping+cost of the spare part) than to buy a new unit. “

To which I replied..,

“I can get a tech in the UK to replace them for me I just need to know the OEM and part number for the encoders then I can source some new ones”

They replied…

“I am sorry, I have looked for it but unfortunately this is information I do not have access to and might only be accessible to our manufacturer, or to say a file what is not shared due to piracy or internal information”

What a bunch of twats. Their Chinese built, s**t quality hardware is well documented on the web so the least they should be doing is sending out spares to extend the life of it.

Stick to your mediocre software dabbling’s you tossers.
Err...now what?
Toris

Re: Arturia and their ‘throw away’ approach to hardware

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

That's pretty bad. Novation are the complete opposite. Sent me a free replacement encoder for a KS4. Later when they couldn't find any documentation on it, they went and tested patch transfer from K Station to V Station to figure out how it worked. Native Instruments have been pretty good too. No excuses- because they love their work!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Toris » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

I've had great dealings with most major manufacturer's (DSI, Korg, Nord, Novation, Access ...all great). Alesis and Elektron support is poor in the UK but Arturia's blatant unwillingness to help is bloody annoying.

Never again.
Err...now what?
Toris

Postby Toris » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Not sure what your point is. If Arturia choose not to stock spare parts then surely they could give customers a part number/manufacturer so they can source the parts themselves/locally? To do that of course would require a parts list/B.O.M. which they don't seem to have.

They seem to be outsourcing their hardware design/build completely with no control/involvement and this is the result, no support when it breaks.
Err...now what?
Toris

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 pm

This issue of keeping spares in stock is regulated in the EU. IIRC it's 7 years after production ceases. Also it seems that Roland and Yamaha tend to keep parts in stock for longer than that, because they don't discard dated stock.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:49 pm

If you feel that strongly about it, you're much better off finding someone higher up the chain at Arturia, and taking it up with them. There's an Arturia rep on Gearslutz Kevin@Arturia IIRC? If nothing else, he has much better grammar than the rep you quoted in your original post lol.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Alex E » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 am

madtheory wrote:That's pretty bad. Novation are the complete opposite. Sent me a free replacement encoder for a KS4. Later when they couldn't find any documentation on it, they went and tested patch transfer from K Station to V Station to figure out how it worked. Native Instruments have been pretty good too. No excuses- because they love their work!

I love Novation. They managed to track down a NOS metal faceplate for my Supernova II. What are the odds of that part even being available 16 years after it was discontinued??
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: JP-8000 and 8080, Supernova II, Virus C, Midibox 6582, JX-305, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby pflosi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I will delete my posts.

Now that part of the "discussion" looks rather strange above :| Was that really necessary? :dontknow:

On the topic, I agree that this is not how it's supposed to be done, at all. But what did you expect? Cheap stuff like Arturia isn't really made with field serviceability in mind... Not knowing their own part numbers is ridiculous, though :lol:

Cheers :drinks:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Toris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

pflosi wrote:
Cheap stuff like Arturia isn't really made with field serviceability in mind... Not knowing their own part numbers is ridiculous, though :lol:

Cheers :drinks:

Some of their controller/software packages are £675.

Update:

Not sure if it has anything to do with this thread but I've just received an email from an Aftersales guy at Arturia saying...

Hi Paul,
I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I know where are you based ? I could check if I can scrap out encoders from a unit at the office.

Hardly a long term solution for anyone else but hopefully they are listening.
Err...now what?
Toris

Return to Software Synthesizers