Can anyone recommend me some free VSTs?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Can anyone recommend me some free VSTs?

Post by Music Bird » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm

I have tons of them, like Synth1, Dexed, PG-8X, SQ8L (I may never need a real Ensoniq ESQ-1 or SQ-80), and many others. I even have Combo Model F and V. So are there any standouts that I might like?
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Can anyone recommend me some free VSTs?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm

u-he Tyrell N6 Nice sounding VA, my favorite freeware synth. Comes with a good preset library, but easy to program...like an expanded Roland Juno.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am

Nearly anything by U-he(Tyrelln6, Podolski), OBxd, ShortCircuit(sampler),there are these Polish ones with difficult names...Brzoza, Swierk and Cedr, Chimera.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm

VST4FREE.com, VSTPlanet.com, and KVRAudio.com have the biggest listings. KBrown has a new and very extensive collection of free VSTs. There is the ElektroStudio collection of classics no one else has. Sonic Projects has a small free version of their OP-X. Tubeohm has four free versions that are amazing. I just added a link to the entire H G Fortune collection. B Serrano synths are excellent, as are de la Mancha and DSK. I have so many free VSTs I have downloaded (171GB!) and only a fraction that i have installed. You can go nuts but after a while you have to learn how to pick and choose, otherwise you just drown.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Music Bird

Post by Music Bird » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:03 pm

gridsleep wrote:VST4FREE.com, VSTPlanet.com, and KVRAudio.com have the biggest listings. KBrown has a new and very extensive collection of free VSTs. There is the ElektroStudio collection of classics no one else has. Sonic Projects has a small free version of their OP-X. Tubeohm has four free versions that are amazing. I just added a link to the entire H G Fortune collection. B Serrano synths are excellent, as are de la Mancha and DSK. I have so many free VSTs I have downloaded (171GB!) and only a fraction that i have installed. You can go nuts but after a while you have to learn how to pick and choose, otherwise you just drown.
I got the ElektroStudio and B Serrano stuff. I particularly like VST4FREE.com because you would be surprised what one can find, I have a sitar and accordion plugin from that site, not that I'll need them, but they'll be useful.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

NewEnglandSynthOrch
Gear: Too many
Band: New England Synth Orchestra

Post by NewEnglandSynthOrch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:49 pm

There's tons of 'em at K Brown's Synth Plugins. Not all of 'em have custom oscillators, but a few do: https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/

Also, if you're into PPGs, I HIGHLY recommend Hermann Seib's PPG WaveSim: http://hermannseib.com/english/synths/ppg/wavesim.htm

Dutch electronic musician Meesha also has some good stuff. I'm especially taken with his Apollo sequencer: http://www.meesha.nl/vst/home.html
New England Synth Orchestra - We Rule the Nightlife

Music Bird

Post by Music Bird » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm

The only problem is the K Brown ones don’t have presets, and I’m very reliant on presets.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Expecting lots of presets for a free synth is going to lead to disappointment. The money is in the presets, really. That's why the big name instruments come with 1000+ patches these days.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.