Csound thinking: outside the box

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Csound thinking: outside the box

Postby briandc » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,
of the various softsynths that I enjoy playing, I think the application that piques my curiousity most is Csound. (Anyone here using Csound currently in their work?)
With all the potential and options, such as having various random filters, oscillators/sound sources, LFO speeds, etc etc with every note press...

..what kinds of interesting synthesis arrangements would you experiment with in Csound?

brian

PS: I'm aware of other, similar sound synthesis/processing apps such as PureData and SuperCollider; I mention Csound just because it's the one I use and know best...
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: Csound thinking: outside the box

Postby briandc » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Ok, as an example of what I'm doing, is a synth I've made in Csound called SynthH. If you have Csound installed you can try it out! Csound is cross-platform, but those of you not using linux will need to modify the Options section to your system.

This synth is not too complicated; it's subtractive, and has two saw wave oscillators that can be detuned a few octaves apart. There is a moogVCF filter, and standard, linear ADSR-type envelopes for amplitude and timbre. There is an LFO that controls pitch, adjustable for depth and rate. Pitchbend is also available, and both the amplitude and filter are touch-sensitive.

If you are using a midi controller, there are several parameters that are linked to certain midi CCs. You may need to adjust these, depending on your controller.

I'd love to hear feedback! :)

I'm currently thinking of trying out having discrete envelopes (amp, timbre and pitch) for several different oscillators, a noise generator, sample playback, etc..

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Re: Csound thinking: outside the box

Postby briandc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Here's a new version, using the moogladder filter instead of the moogVCF filter; there is also a second LFO that controls resonance in depth and rate. Enjoy! SynthHmoogladder

brian
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
briandc

Return to Software Synthesizers