Dead Or Alive - Misty Circles Synth Techniques

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Dead Or Alive - Misty Circles Synth Techniques

Postby gabrielvieira » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi! That's my first post here... I'm a beginner on the synth world, and I started to like synthesizers because of Dead Or Alive,and I'm thinking of creating a project inspired by this band... I wanted to ask for help about how the sounds of this song were programmed, and which synths were possibly used ... I'm going to leave the link of the song here, called Misty Circles ... I saw an interview in which the producer of this song said that during the production of the album of this song, thy had the PPG Wave, ARP2600, Oberheim DMX, some of Moog were used, but to this day I have not figured out how to program the sounds that seens to be a sequencer ... I would like to redo this in FL Studio, does anyone know how to make these arpeggio sounds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiNRtIw7tw (I want to know specially how to do this synth sound that beggins around 2:27. Thanks!
gabrielvieira

Re: Dead Or Alive - Misty Circles Synth Techniques

Postby blueknob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 am

Do you mean You Spin Me Round Like A Record - Dead Or Alive with Pete Burns? That was done when SAW were at their peak (1989), done by Mike Stock and Matt Aitkin who were expert on making that type of song and sound. I saw some of their studio kit up for sale many years ago.

They will be a good crew to study and learn from, I've seen many an interview with SAW, there's a lot of info available, some interviews explain how they developed their sound, I've seen a few informative interviews with Pete Waterman (known for being harsh and brutal, such is his business) where he talks of the SAW sound evolution. I recall seeing an intervew with P.Waterman where he talks of that fast arp in "Spin Me".

Although for me personally, they killed pop music... dead! I switched out of the music scene at that time as it was either SAW or rubbish-druggy-Rave.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby madtheory » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am

I don't hear an arpeggio there? At 2:27 there's a breakdown, so you get to hear the gated synth strings that run through the track. So I guess you need to figure out how to do rhythmically gated strings/ pad. This tutorial looks good:
https://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/ho ... fl-studio/

They used Fairlight CMI IIx a lot as well as the other synths you mentioned, it's definitely there doing the slap and pull bass guitar sounds.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Music Bird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:30 pm

PPG most likely. Or a DX7. They were produced by SAW, who used the DX7 and Fairlight as well. Maybe Sytrus will have something similar.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby Music Bird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 pm

SAW used
Fairlight with a lot of custom patches
DX7 with custom patches
MKS-80 Super Jupiter
JX-8P
Alpha Juno-2
By then, they had the D-50.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Return to Software Synthesizers