VST that most closely replicates Ensoniq EPS sequencing

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
merovie

VST that most closely replicates Ensoniq EPS sequencing

Post by merovie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm

First off, if you are not familiar with how the Ensoniq EPS step editor works, I'm not sure if you'll be able to help me. It works in a very specific way with how you write sequences with up to 8 instruments and put them all together in the song step editor and mute and unmute certain instruments so they come in or out at certain points in the finished song.

That being said:

I have tried and tried to use Cubase' step editor with the piano roll and it's not that I can't do it but it's sooooooooo BORING!!!! It's also time consuming and takes all the fun out of writing music. Spending 15 minutes to lay down a bass track using the computer mouse that I could do in 3 minutes playing it on my midi controller to create a sequence just plain sucks for me. I'd rather play all the instruments in my sequences to a click track, quantize them if they are a bit off, and then have my sequences to edit as I see fit in the song step editor. I know some of you might say "well you can play along to Cubase's click track or drums you've already laid down" but that still doesn't solve the problem of creating each step separately and putting them together in a song step editor.

I still have my Ensoniq EPS rackmount but the thing is 25 years old or something. I'm sure it will die on me eventually. I always have to deal with 3.5 inch floppys constantly getting corrupted, etc. (recently had an entire library of songs' disk get corrupted and I couldn't find the backup one I made grrrrr) Now that I send all my midi outs to Cubase and its VSTs like Halion Sonic and Retrologue so I rarely need to use the sounds on my disks.

I would just like to know if there is a VST sequencer that is as user friendly as the Ensoniq EPS. (I heard a rumor someone was making a VST ASR-10 which uses the same sequencing format but this has not been confirmed.)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: VST that most closely replicates Ensoniq EPS sequencing

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:00 pm

I haven't used Cubase in a while, but it did allow you to enter the notes off the keyboard. I'd be surprised if that's changed since I used it? The only mouse clicking was for note durations. In Pro Tools, those are assigned to keyboard shortcuts, in addition to entering the pitch from your music keyboard. Because I have that, I've never looked for a plugin to do it.

I found this list:
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/0 ... encer-vst/
Maybe you'll find something there.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: VST that most closely replicates Ensoniq EPS sequencing

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:48 am

You can get step sequencer plugins but none of them are designed for complete songs like the EPS sequencer.

There are definitely DAWs that let you step sequence in the piano roll from a keyboard...Logic is one (Mac only of course) where after you set the note length, you just start playing your keys until you need to change note length or enter a rest. Ableton Live requires pressing Enter after each note, but otherwise it's just playing the notes from your keyboard. I forget how Cubase does it (been too long since I used it) but it does support step sequencing in the piano roll from a keyboard.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.