Synth1 VST is a monster! Anything similar??

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
zhair

Synth1 VST is a monster! Anything similar??

Post by zhair » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:26 am

Hey everyone, just getting started making electronic music, no hardware yet, everything is currently being made using LMMS DAW and a keyboard and mouse. I have a couple of midi controllers on order, and I will have my eyes out for used synths now. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some great free VSTs apart from Synth 1 which I feel is an absolute monster of a VST. Is there anything similar to Synth 1 out there that is as vast in the way it can be used? Looking in the realm of very cheap or free. Thanks.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Synth1 VST is a monster! Anything similar??

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:22 am

the Tyrell VST from U-He

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: Synth1 VST is a monster! Anything similar??

Post by Big Gnome » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:54 pm

I'll definitely second Tyrell. TAL Noisemaker is also quite good, notwithstanding the slightly awkward tabbed interface.

I'm a big fan of most of Native Instruments' stuff and would absolutely recommend looking at their free Komplete Start bundle which includes a modest selection of very nice instruments and effects.

VCV Rack, while not a VST per se, is a killer virtual modular, and it does have a "bridge" plugin for routing midi and audio to/from your DAW (kind of roundabout, but functional).

By the way, bedroomproducersblog.com is a fin resource for free and cheap audio software.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p