midi channels question

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
The Cancer Years

midi channels question

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:10 am

so say live I have my mk 225 hooked up to my laptop and in a song I have to play we'll say three different VSTS. I am not too familiar with midi channels, at all and I have read tweakheads stuff but I can't quite get this is there a way I coudl switch VSTS without havign to do it on the computer can I do it from the controller?

ideally I want to have my ensoniq running into my laptop live to trigger stuff and have my midi controller hooked up to trigger stuff is there a way to assign teh midi channels to each and then be able to switch to the next vsts?

I'm a total midi noob here guys.

it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to assign parameters tonight haha.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

DX

Post by DX » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:42 am

I think you can do it. Probably the vst's setup allows you set any instrument to a midi receive channel. So If you have 3 or 4 vsts opened and channel assigned, I suppose you have fixed your problem.

I usually don't work with vst, only with RTAS on Pro Tools. In my case, I can assign the instruments as I said. It works fine.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:50 am

this will totally depend on your software...at very least you should be able to assign some knobs to the volume of each midi channel...so, for example, you could assign the keyboard to all the vst's at the same time (ie assign them all to channel 1 and select them all for playback) and then mix in and out of each vst on the fly...x[/b]

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 pm

would Energy EXT be my best bet for this? I have the demo but if it works as well as everyone seems to say I think it would be worth it to buy the full version? I'm just using vst host or whatever that program is called at the moment.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com