advice on software very good acoustic piano

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

advice on software very good acoustic piano

Post by Umbe78 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi!

I sold an old guitar and now I have 200-250 euro to spend on a piano ... not real for sure :? ....

My finalists are sample based NI Akoustik , Synthogy Ivory and the new thing called Pianoteq,based on modelling not sampling....

other advices?
Also I thought about romplers ... JV 1010/1080 ...

I wish VERY REALISTIC sounds,cause I keep this very seriously... other buys will be piano lessons and a new midi controller with semiweighted touch

Advice me!
just one of us

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:11 pm

I tried Pianoteq, It sounds very close to a piano but you'd know it's synthetic if you listen to it carefully.
Ivory is VERY good, but you'd need a decent PC with lots of memory to run it properly, as it uses high-quality samples.
Not sure about NI Akoustik, as I've never tried it...

There's a Refill out (I think) that has multi-samples of pianos made by Propellerhead itself, quite inexpensive and should run on lower systems. Don't know if it's any good, not tried it out myself.

sdconvoy

Post by sdconvoy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:21 am

the pianoteq is very versitile for sure. it is quite realistic, and i have found that with a good deal of tweaking and external efx and EQ, you can get almost any sound you want. however, i would reccomend trying out teh demo for awhile to see if you like it.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:29 am

dammit...get some free soundfonts....natural sound piano is a nice soft one...theres some great JV piano soundfonts on the web too, why do people pay for piano sounds??? x

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Re: ....

Post by Shleed » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 am

elmosexwhistle wrote:dammit...get some free soundfonts....natural sound piano is a nice soft one...theres some great JV piano soundfonts on the web too, why do people pay for piano sounds??? x
Because they tend to sound a LOT better than free piano soundfonts.

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable

Post by Umbe78 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:46 pm

:oops: What's a soundfont?
just one of us

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:35 pm

soundfont is another sample format.
Main difference is that it originated on PC soundcards instead of hardware samplers.
I'm not sure but I think you had to load the samples into the ram of the soundcard and the samples were triggered in there.
Today that is not supported (or needed) on soundcards anymore AFAIK , but the format still stands.

The sound quality of the soundcards in these days was of course totally c**p and I think that's one of the reasons soundfonts got a bad name with some. (Quite like some people think MIDI "sounds" bad because of the quality of their soundcards :shock: )
This is of course rubbish as soundfonts sound as good as the samples in them and the quality of the equipment they are played on.

Anyhoo, I just bought myself EmulatorX2 for 299 euros, it has the Studio Grand bank shipped with it (1.4Gb piano).
As realistic a piano as my Yamaha P-90. It's just outside your price range, but there's also is the ProteusX2, playback only, 249 euros which has the same soundset (3Gb) shipped with it. Both prices might drop in the future.....

Tidda

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Umbe78 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:09 pm

thanx to anybody but this thread is postponed in 2007!!!
:lol:
I have found a bargain for a Machinedrum here in my area ... 40 km from my home !!! 700 € !!!

In Italy 700 € are very good !!! .... Anyway I have to try it...
just one of us

ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:18 am

for a real piano sound, try pianoteq version 2, it's a bomb. 8)
http://www.pianoteq.com/
My vintages:
yamaha: CS80, FS1R, Roland: VP330, JUPITER 8, Elka: Synthex, Sequential: Prophet VS Rack, Oberheim: Matrix 12,
ARP: Solina,KORG: wavestation A/D

oceanbourne

Post by oceanbourne » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:38 am

A "good" piano sound depends on what sort of music you're playing and the sound you desire. The NI Akoustik Piano is very very strong for classical music in my opinion.

Another issue to get past for me though has been the difference in playing (even with a weighted controller) vs. playing a real piano. That said, the Akoustik Piano and Kurzweil's little ME-1 soundbox's piano I've been rather happy with. Nothing replaces a great, actual, piano though. But even if you can afford the piano, recording it can be a huge issue depending on your space (rather, on the piano's space).

I've yet to try Pianoteq but want to . . . and I have no great love of Native Instruments though they do make some great products (their customer support has not made me happy though).
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).