Blade Runner patches for Arturia CS

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Blade Runner patches for Arturia CS

Post by hearttimes » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:30 am

anybody got any?

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:13 am

Yes - that classic brass pad sound - but I worked very hard to get it (and it's still not 100% the same). :)
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:30 pm

I don't have a real CS-80, but AFAIK that brass sound isn't as simple as slamming 2 saw waves together and detuning them slightly.. It involves the PWM in some way too? And the way vangelis plays is is a huge part of the sound you hear on records too. He uses all the expression possible on the synth. Poly aftertouch, volume control while he's playing.

I'm sure many were disappointed not to find that "bladerunner" patch in the factory presets of CS-80V. I've heard it in several of the cs-80v demos you can listen to at the Arturia website, it's dead on there.

Another important thing is to get the 1.5 update, where they changed the shapes of the oscillator waveforms to match the real CS-80's waveforms much more.
This changes the timbre slightly, but makes it sound more authentic.

I just saw there is a new 1.6 update, amongst the updates is "Factory presets have been checked and re-tuned"

Here is a demo of a nice Vangelis inspired tune: It doesn't say he EXACTLY wanted to replicate Bladerunner though.

ftp://ftp2.arturia.com/samples/demoweb/CS80V_demo.mp3

Here is another more ambient track that feature many Vangelish sounds in between. It's all CS-80V.

ftp://ftp2.arturia.com/samples/demoweb/ ... s_demo.mp3

You can also browse through the extra soundbanks on the Arturia website:
http://www.arturia.com/en/cs80/cspresets.php

Some needs a registered copy, but I assume yours is legal.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Bitexion wrote:Another important thing is to get the 1.5 update, where they changed the shapes of the oscillator waveforms to match the real CS-80's waveforms much more.
This changes the timbre slightly, but makes it sound more authentic.
funny, this update actually pissed me off slightly. I had a crazy lead sound patched and stored for a song that I was going to eventually play live. After the update the patch sounded NOTHING like it used too, its tibmral qualities had been strongly altered as if there was no resonance at all... other than that, I liked the update :)

I have another patch which I've use on several recordings- very expressive, and Vangelian, if you like... which i just now found out has been deleted for no reason.... :evil: ok... luckily i could ressurect it from garageband. here's a link to download it Here
Last edited by cbjlietuva on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi, one of the designers I think did 3 sounds..bladestring, bladehorn and some piano thing (it might be GDarcey3). If you look on the Arturia site it should be there.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:57 pm

I just discovered that if you click on the Arturia logo on the synth, another panel pops up where you can individually adjust the tuning pots of each single voice.
That would go a huge way in imitating real CS-80 sound where none of the 16 voice cards were ever exactly the same tune. It was apparently introduced in v1.5 too.

Imagine having to individually tune each single voice card inside this monster with a tiny screwdriver. See how cramped it is in there? And all those VCO's make lots of heat making them unstable as h**l with temperature changes.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:43 pm

yeah.... that sounds like fun

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:07 am

Anyhoo, you should have heard plenty of vangelis-brass sounds in the audio demos I posted..so it is possible, you just need to know how to produce that sound. I don't. I just know it's more complicated than 2 detuned sawteeth. You probably wouldn't be able to make it on a real CS-80 either if you don't know how it's done.

ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:52 am

hi! could try my demo, I made one with the real CS and the other
with arturia cs80V.
The 2 are with a real VP330 :wink:

http://perso.orange.fr/georges.poropat/
My vintages:
yamaha: CS80, FS1R, Roland: VP330, JUPITER 8, Elka: Synthex, Sequential: Prophet VS Rack, Oberheim: Matrix 12,
ARP: Solina,KORG: wavestation A/D

cbjlietuva

Post by cbjlietuva » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 am

wow- the slow detune (or vibrato?) on the real CS80 sounds so much better- in fact the whole thing sounds so much better! great job with hitting that piece by the way!

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:50 am

Bitexion wrote:I just discovered that if you click on the Arturia logo on the synth, another panel pops up where you can individually adjust the tuning pots of each single voice.
That would go a huge way in imitating real CS-80 sound where none of the 16 voice cards were ever exactly the same tune. It was apparently introduced in v1.5 too.

Imagine having to individually tune each single voice card inside this monster with a tiny screwdriver. See how cramped it is in there? And all those VCO's make lots of heat making them unstable as h**l with temperature changes.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea.

Cheers.

WD

P.S. I've tuned my CS60, which is only half as complicated as the CS80...but that is complicated enough. ;-)

ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:50 am

wow- the slow detune (or vibrato?) on the real CS80 sounds so much better- in fact the whole thing sounds so much better! great job with hitting that piece by the way!
In fact on the real CS, I use no detune at all, sound is naturally like this,
otherwise I use a Boss CE-20 (emulation of the Roland Dimension D),
and a reverb Sony DPS-V77.

With the virtual I use a GEM S2 as master keyboard, because of
polyaftertouch, and I use a virtuzal reverb from Kresearch (it's a freeware). Of course, I detuned voices on CS80V, hope a day
Arturia will make possible to detune the 16 VCO's. :D

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:03 pm

ostrovitch wrote:hi! could try my demo, I made one with the real CS and the other
with arturia cs80V.

oh jesus. That made me shiver instantly. Thats a great demo.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:38 pm

:D

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 pm

ostrovitch wrote:hi! could try my demo, I made one with the real CS and the other
with arturia cs80V.

Fantastic!

That is the first A-B that I have heard of the CS80 versus the CS80V. Surprisingly close.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

WD