My first VST Synth

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

My first VST Synth

Post by sepiakeys » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Hello there,

I got a new laptop, and I am thinking of getting myself a nice software-based analog emulation to add to my live setup. There seem to be hundreds of software synths on the market, freeware, shareware and commercial. I was thinking of a moog modular V 2. Is this a good decision? Are there better (and cheaper) alternatives?

Oh yes, and what about some fine midi-hardware to tweak the synth realtime?

Thanks for any reply!
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 am

Depends on what your looking for. It really is too subject a topic for anybodies answer to actually mean anything...

I like the Arturia Arp 2600. It sounds pretty good and the patching is easy enough..

The Moog Modular I find a bit annoying... maybe you'll love it.

The Korg Legacy Collection is a fine selection of softsynth. A simpler affair but I like the effects that come with it and the synth sounds pretty good.

Native Instruments Reaktor is very popular. Modular and you get a range of synths and processors...

There's a lot of stuff out there. Just download all the demos and see which one you turn to more often and then buy it.

As for controllers cheap and cheerful, Novation Remote Zero, Behringer BCR2000, CME, Evolution UC33. They're all fairly similar so its more a case of what you need, what you like the look of and how much money you have...

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:59 am

What about the MMV appealed to you? It was one of my first softsynths and I still love it though it has some annoying bugs. If you are looking for deep analogue synthesiser emulation maybe have a look at the TimewARP 2600.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 am

i only have demos but i like the Korg Legacy Collection and the Arturia Minimoog

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:58 am

You should also head over to www.kvraudio.com and see what's up there: loads of VSTs, both free and pay models.

For my controller, I bought an M-Audio Axiom 25. That may be a bit small for you, but it's perfect for me. It's got knobs and drum pads, but the larger versions also add sliders, all of which can be assigned to almost anything. I really like it!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

Post by sepiakeys » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:44 am

I guess I have to make it a bit more precise:

A virtual analog modular softsynth is what I am looking for (I want to learn this kind of technique)

My budget is around 300 Dollars (so a nord modular will probably be out of my range...)
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:51 pm

Check out VAZ Modular, it sounds sweet and has alot of different choices for filters and osc's. To bad it's PC only.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/328.html

Then there is of course Reaktor but it's out of your budget unless you can get a student discount.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

JugJug

Post by JugJug » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

You might check out Vaz Modular (PC only)

JugJug

Post by JugJug » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Lol, same time posting. If that isn't a valid argument for this synth :D

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:48 pm

I like Moog Mod V2. There are several bugs, but overall it makes great sounds. I like the interface; your signal path isn't hidden by menus. Nice sequencer too.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Aye, the MMV is the way to go. Gives you a basic idea on how modular synths work.

groovemacher

Post by groovemacher » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:33 pm

a bug I noticed in mmv is that if you are running the built-in seq and key the keyboard it kinda glitches the sound, this has happened with all controllers I've used as well as simply key clicking via pc mouse.

that might bother some unless you were only using it to design sounds to be implemented in a different way then It might not matter.

just starting out get a lower cost mid feature usb/midi controller something with at least 49 keys has worked best for me unless I was doing just bass lines or using it as a trigger for a piece of hardware.

if you are a student I would seriously look into an acedemic copy if you have to buy a non-free/shareware softsynth.

I recently got nostalgia and dash signatures eve & I like both a lot, they compliment eachother well.

as my best advice and I know I'm repeating myself, get a 49key controller that functions well with your PC or mac(whatever you have)

M-audio has a large selection and seem to be compatible with both mac & pc, as far as soft synths download some freeware and demos

get a feel of what you like. don't listen to hype or over spend.

LBN

Post by LBN » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:01 am

A little late to the game but a fantastic free modular VSTi is KarmaFX:

http://www.karmafx.dk/

It can also be used as an effect plugin for some whacky stuff. The KarmaFX effects pack is also nice.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:29 pm

LBN wrote:A little late to the game but a fantastic free modular VSTi is KarmaFX:

http://www.karmafx.dk/

It can also be used as an effect plugin for some whacky stuff. The KarmaFX effects pack is also nice.
I'm for Karma FX too... my favourite modular!

uncle silas
No Longer Registered

Post by uncle silas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 am

I'm a huge fan of the Minimonsta, and all of Gmedia's vstis. I've tried about every VSTi out there, free and otherwise, and the minimonsta has the most 'grit'.

It's rare for me to find a VSTi that feels inspirational but the Gmedia synths are in there...ImpOSCar is good too.

Also, if you can managed to afford the SSL vst plugin from Waves I'd recommend it. There's something about it, I'm not sure what, but it just makes almost EVERYTHING sound better, even if it's just turned on and all the settings are zeroed. Crazy, I know.

Anyway, modular vstis are nice but can get overwhelming. I'd rather make music than click and drag virtual nobs. Don't let the technology get in the way of the music...unless you just want to make cool noises.