Another Sound Card Question!!!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Dat Boy X

Another Sound Card Question!!!

Post by Dat Boy X » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:16 am

Aiight, I use FL Studio w\ VST synths and a Yamaha Motif. I've notice over the yearz that FL makez my beatz sound thinner than if I use just the Motif by itself. Until recently I thought it wuz due to FL, but another producer told me that it wuz becuz I wuz using my laptop'z factory soundcard to export my wavz. So I carried my azz across town to Guitar Center aka Musicians Friend to see what advice I could get about a new sound card and the guy tried to suggest a ProToolz Interface and set up, but I aint tryna fukk wit ProTools and plus I aint tryna spend that much bread. So then he suggested that M-Audio FireWire box s**t. Then it clicked in my head that I already have a M-Audio MoblePre that I use for my condenser mic. Now Im thinking that if I just set the MobilePre as my soundcard in FL, when I export my wavz they should sound thicker. Am I right? And if Im wrong, could anybody give me any suggestionz?

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:20 am

Mine has always sounded fine in FL.

what kind of laptop is it?

Have you tried turning them up?
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Dat Boy X

Post by Dat Boy X » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:27 am

Compaq

Yeah, I originally thought that by turning them up and makin the db meter go into the red that it would come out distorted but sumbody told me like 5 minutez ago that FL turnz s**t down like -5db. So just simply turning the gain up might be the solution. So u think the suggestion about using a better sound card wont make a difference?

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:58 am

I had sound card issues when I was RECORDING into it, but i have never had an issue going out of it.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

Dat Boy X

Post by Dat Boy X » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 am

yeah i first noticed it when i would chop up a sample in cool edit and then when i put it into FL it wouldnt sound az strong. i couldnt tell if i needed to just turn up the volume or if the program deminished the quality of the wav. then i noticed when i exported wavz from fruity loops they werent az strong az when I wuz actually playin them in the program. then when another producer said the same thing about the exported wav filez and hiz exact wordz were "why do theze beatz sound so thin? whut program do u use" and i wuz like "fruity loops" he wuz like "u use the factory soundcard in yo pc" and im like "yeah" and hez like "u need a better sound card." now mind u, he uses a mpc and protoolz and s**t so he prolly lookz down on FL but he said the beatz sounded thin before he knew whut they were made w/ so now im tryna figure out how to make my s**t sound fuller. maybe i just need to turn up the gain. i dunno.

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 am

I export everything out of FL at 100% I have NEVER had a problem with them sounding thin.

I generally have to turn them down, I have noticed if it's under 75% it does sound kind of thin, but get a good plug in like TC, or Blue Tubes and it will beef it right up

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:35 am

My advice is get the levels as high as you can in the mixer without clipping and then make sure the FL MASTER volume control is at 100%. Providing you do this, your exported WAV file should sound fine.

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 am

well.. you asked a loaded question that's for sure...

first off, your sound card doesn't effect what happens when you render(export) a project in FL to wav. not one bit.. what it does make a difference is is your monitoring. in other words.. when you are makin your beats and mixing them, your stock soundcard is putting out a signal for you to hear what's going on in the mix.. if that signal is inaccurate, then you're going to be mixing s**t thinking it sounds one way, when it really is sounding another way, you just don't know because you're sound card sucks..

also, what the speakers or headphones you are mixing on have a big effect.. the more transparent your speakers are, the more you'll know what's going on in the mix and make it sound tight..

so what you need is A. a good soundcard B. a good set of monitors..

that's the only way you'll be able to get really really pro sounding results..

the rest is just mixing tricks.. like knowing when to eq, and compress. . if you learn how to eq and compress right, your stuff will sound anything but thin. also, the more you learn about shaping your sounds, the more unique your beats will be, and the more likely someone will hear and think "i'm gonna pay that dood to make beats for my new album"

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:22 pm

I've noticed this problem with FL Studio, although the master fader is on 100% and everything is in control with various compressors, limiters etc. the WAV export puts out awfully distorted results, yet the MP3 export comes out fine.

Try rewiring FL Studio into another program, load up the song and export the WAV through that program (I use Pro Tools for that, but any other sequencer is fine)

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Shleed wrote: Try rewiring FL Studio into another program, load up the song and export the WAV through that program (I use Pro Tools for that, but any other sequencer is fine)
Or you could try exporting each track as an individual WAV (it's an option when you render) and then importing all those into some other DAW or multitrack audio software and doing your compression and level adjusting and stuff in there.

Rewiring FLS is occasionally a little buggy for me. I like using it as a drum sequencer and try to rewire it into Tracktion and it works right..sometimes. Other times I create all the drum stuff I want in it and export as dry WAV files as described above. Then I import those into Tracktion and mix 'em alongside everything else. That works pretty well since i often do the drums first.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Dat Boy X

Post by Dat Boy X » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:08 pm

I appreciate everybody'z advice, especially shleed, thanx for slidin the bullshit aside and givin sum input.