I need to know some info about Native Instruments FM8

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
jrcv
No Longer Registered

I need to know some info about Native Instruments FM8

Post by jrcv » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:45 pm

I do not have a copy of Native Instruments FM8, but I have already watched the introductory video to its setup and usage. However, I would like to know if the following features are available: can FM8 layer several sounds like Bandstand, and can certain sounds be activated only because they are assigned to a certain MIDI channel (which is also a feature in Bandstand)?

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:25 pm

As far as I know FM8's structurally not that different from the FM7. It's a 6OP FM synth. You can layer up to 6 Operators in an additive style fashion. Each operator acts like one oscillator. You can also of course do FM modulation.

As far different MIDI channels triggering different Operators no it can't do that.

I think Bandstand is a sequencer whereas the FM8 is a virtual synth. You could simply layer and trigger different sounds by putting multiple instances of the FM8 on different MIDI tracks in your sequencer. Any instances you want to hear at the same time can be triggered by the same MIDI channel. Any instances you want to hear seperate can be heard on a seperate MIDI channel.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:14 pm

kk994 is right I think. I have FM8 and the main differences between it an FM7 (apart from the interface) is that FM8 allows you to do a kind of morphing between sounds (but still only one sound at a time) and there is an arpegiator.

toadmanxtro

Post by toadmanxtro » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:51 am

Native Instruments has an excellent demo (One for Massive too) so you can download it and try it out for yourself.