Arturia Jupiter 8V

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 am

I already have the dongle with the Prophet-V, so it is no problem for me :) I don't mind having it, my computer has enough USB ports.
You just update the dongle software with the new synths you install. Very easy process of opening a program, entering you serial number.

And also virtually uncrackable, H2o, the biggest VST crack group stopped cracking the Steinberg/Arturia programs (they released a public note) because they were too cumbersome to crack and too much hassle to use for the end user, which flooded their own mailboxes with help requests. They created a software driver that pretended to be the dongle, but it would have to be updated for EVERY synth every time one was updated.

So too bad for the pirates amongst us, eh?

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 pm

dtime wrote:
rdemon wrote:I'm curious which softsynths do you consider better than Arturia?
Well, at least GMedia/GForce synths. Also Creamware although they haven't made any native plugins. I'd like to try WayOutWare's Arp2600 emulation and see how it compares to Arturia's.
I have to disagree. I don't think Gmedia synths are better than Arturia. I haven't tried the WOW 2600, but read the SOS review. There is no question that they think the Arturia is a better emulation.

As I said in another thread, Prophet V sounds amazingly identical to my P5 Rev 2 in the comparisons i've made (incredibly amazing considering how Prophets can vary, suppose I'm lucky it sounds particularly like mine), so i'm hoping they are on a roll and have nailed the Jupiter too. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. :D

RavenSmith

Post by RavenSmith » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Yeah I also read how the WOW and GMedia stuff trashed Arturia! You can also find it on this site too!

kk994

Post by kk994 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:38 pm

KB Crockett wrote:
dtime wrote:
rdemon wrote:I'm curious which softsynths do you consider better than Arturia?
Well, at least GMedia/GForce synths. Also Creamware although they haven't made any native plugins. I'd like to try WayOutWare's Arp2600 emulation and see how it compares to Arturia's.
I have to disagree. I don't think Gmedia synths are better than Arturia. I haven't tried the WOW 2600, but read the SOS review. There is no question that they think the Arturia is a better emulation.

As I said in another thread, Prophet V sounds amazingly identical to my P5 Rev 2 in the comparisons i've made (incredibly amazing considering how Prophets can vary, suppose I'm lucky it sounds particularly like mine), so i'm hoping they are on a roll and have nailed the Jupiter too. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. :D
I've never heard used a real Arp2600 so I can't comment on the quality of the emulation but I was kind of surprised by Gordon Reids opinions of the WOW version. I found the filter in the WOW version to go up further. The filter in the Arturia versions even when fully opened doesn't seem to be fully opened. Also I seemed to get better results when I modulated the filter with an audio rate using the WOW.

I think Gordon liked the the inclusion of the sequencer/FX and modulation
creator thing in the Arturia.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 pm

I have A-B-Ced the Arturia, Wayoutware and ARP2600, and, from my less-than-scientific approach, Wayoutware is closer to the real thing than the Arturia. As I said, my analysis was not particularly details--no oscilliscopes or anything like that. I simply took the old factory ARP2600 patchbook and patched all three synths from the diagrams.

Firstly, let's be clear that the ARP2600 sounded the best and, not surprisingly the most like an ARP2600. ;-)

Wayoutware did a pretty good emulation, but not always 100% spot on. But certainly more than good enough.

Arturia was a little more hit or miss. Some patches were pretty close. Some were pretty different. In general, I thought Arturia a little gentle in comparison.

Although I found Arturia to be less accurate than Wayout ware, I nonetheless like it. In fact, it has made it into one of my soundtrack works (which hopefully gets released in 2007). The built-in step sequencer is a neat added bonus that I wish Wayoutware would include in theirs.

In general, I am satisfied with Arturia's products, but, like others, I wish that they would fix some of the long-standing bugs, such as those enumerated by Kenneth Elhardt among others. Despite the inaccuracies (compared to the originals) and bugs, they still make a good product. And I have high hopes for the Jupiter 8V and Origin.

Cheers.

WD

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Dreamtronix wrote:If only Roland realized the market potential of a fully updated, true analog, brand new Jupiter 8....

I agree. It would be fantastic.

Something like this perhaps?

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Bitexion wrote: And also virtually uncrackable, H2o, the biggest VST crack group stopped cracking the Steinberg/Arturia programs (they released a public note) because they were too cumbersome to crack and too much hassle to use for the end user, which flooded their own mailboxes with help requests. They created a software driver that pretended to be the dongle, but it would have to be updated for EVERY synth every time one was updated.
I read somewhere that steinberg pay H2O to stop cracking, and they went on holidays

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Dustin wrote:
Dreamtronix wrote:If only Roland realized the market potential of a fully updated, true analog, brand new Jupiter 8....

Nice, but it would probably cost a lot more than most people would be willing to spend...something in the Andromeda ballpark (or maybe slightly less since Roland is a larger company and their production costs wouldn't be as great).
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 pm

braincandy wrote:
Dustin wrote:

Nice, but it would probably cost a lot more than most people would be willing to spend...something in the Andromeda ballpark (or maybe slightly less since Roland is a larger company and their production costs wouldn't be as great).
Well worth the price for a true analogue monster.

Cheers.

WD

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:34 am

I agree. If Roland did make a JP-8 MKII, I'd buy it in a second.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:32 am

WOW this is a great addition. Hey! I didn't know arturia (will also make)/(made) their first hardware synth!
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:49 pm

It seems to be nice with a virtual jupiter-8...
But I hope arturia will make an Elka SynthexV :D
Wich synth do you hope Arturia will make next time??
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm

masyst wrote:Wich synth do you hope Arturia will make next time??
Oberheim Matrix 12

Cheers.

WD

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:33 pm

masyst wrote:Wich synth do you hope Arturia will make next time??
Synton Syrinx

Tidda

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I don't think there will ever be any official oberheim VST's..you know, Viscount (current owners) are completely denying anyone the license to replicate it in software.
You can make your own VST and call it Operheim or Oxerheim..but no way you can use the correct name on it.