Arturia Jupiter 8V

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
chnarles

Post by chnarles » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:35 am

I hear you loud and clear on the polyphony issue. It would have been nice for the OPX to at least have 8 voices, but perhaps it's a matter of how complicated it is to just to do each voice. As for the SOB, everything that GForce has done so far has been pretty good, I think, so maybe it'll be worth the wait.

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:52 am

Based upon the Oddity, impOSCar and Minimonsta, all which I have and love, I have equally high expectations of the S.O.B. I cannot wait to see and hear what GMedia shall unleash upon us.

Cheers.

WD

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:30 pm

I tried the OP-X demo some time ago, and it has a RIDICULOUS limitation to make you froth and spit curses at it, so much that I just hated it afterwards.
It will only work for 2-3 minutes, then the fricking thing shuts down! That's the single most stupid limitation I've ever seen. I'd be happy with a little sound burst every 30 secs to prevent recording. But shutting down on me every 3 minutes, when I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy the thing, was just too much to handle.

Plus, the website had no options that allowed me to actually pay for the retail version. I got stopped at some obscure phone number issue where I couldn't enter the correct amount of numbers for the transaction to work. You don't need Reaktor AFAIK, it is just an option.

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 pm

That is a stupid limitation! It can very easily take more than three minutes to set up a patch. For that matter, you could not even try every preset in three minutes. What were they thinking?!

No Reaktor, huh? I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Cheers.

WD

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:22 pm

I dunno if they've changed that silly limitation in further builds of the demo. But I found that I could never have time to browse a newly loaded patch bank, tweak the sounds a bit before it shut down on me and I'd have to start all over again. But it is a great emulation I think, the maker states that he created over 3000 internal connections to emulate instability in every voice and all sorts of other details most people miss. The limitation is there to make people so fricking annoyed that they buy the synth in anger I think :P

I was going to, but couldn't find any combination of numbers the CC form would accept as my phone number. So there. Like he'd ever call me anyways.

chnarles

Post by chnarles » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Here's an update on these issues:

Apparently Sonic Projects got so many complaints about the 3 minute limitation that the lastest version of the demo runs for 30 minutes instead.

As for the payment, they now accept credit cards rather than just Paypal and it can be ordered directly through the website. I paid for it and then got an email a few hours later with a link to where I could download the full version.

I have also read that these folks are very responsive if you email or call them, although I haven't tried to communicate with them myself. They certainly seemed to be newbies when the OPX first came out but they have learned a few lessons since then.

Charles

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Interesting. I will give it another shot, as I loved some of the presets in that thing, but got furious with the time limit.
There's lots of downloadable soundbanks with van halen sounds and whatnot.

mrflex

Post by mrflex » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:59 am

Anybody know if there are sound clips of the Jupiter 8v yet?

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:17 am

Not yet.

Keep checking Arturia's website: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html

Cheers.

WD

midi2
Gear: Alesis S4+,Yamaha TG77,Yamaha TG500,Yamaha SY35,KORG 03R/W,Roland D-50,Roland A-33 x2,Oberheim mc1000,mc2000 ex

Post by midi2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:44 pm

midi2
Gear: Alesis S4+,Yamaha TG77,Yamaha TG500,Yamaha SY35,KORG 03R/W,Roland D-50,Roland A-33 x2,Oberheim mc1000,mc2000 ex

Post by midi2 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 am

I just tried the demo!the presets are not of my taste and I was a little dissapointed but when I tried to emulate some JX "soundtrack" pads I had great results :) I am not sure if it sounds like real analog but I am sure to tell that is one of the greatest VA emulations(maybe the best?)is it the interface that reminds me old roland analog days?By the way this vst overloded my pc(P4 1,8GHz 768MB ram) very easy,.I believe it'll work with no problems on a decent PC.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:40 am

midi2 wrote:I just tried the demo!the presets are not of my taste and I was a little dissapointed but when I tried to emulate some JX "soundtrack" pads I had great results :) I am not sure if it sounds like real analog but I am sure to tell that is one of the greatest VA emulations(maybe the best?)is it the interface that reminds me old roland analog days?By the way this vst overloded my pc(P4 1,8GHz 768MB ram) very easy,.I believe it'll work with no problems on a decent PC.
Same as you but my Athlon 64 4200 ate it for breakfast 8) probably your best bet is to upgrade to those core 2 duo beasts. But now that AMD announced surprises for 2007 then I'm not sure now.

try loading the stand alone application instead of the vst on vst host.
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

midi2

Post by midi2 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Thefumigator wrote:try loading the stand alone application instead of the vst on vst host.
I was talking for standalone operation... :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:32 am

You guys must have some wheezy old PC's..I had no trouble running it on my system, even in max voices unison.

Maybe the Jupiter-8 is one of the easier synths to emulate, as the blurb back when it was new was that it was a kind of chameleon synth, it sounded sharp, bright, clear, but also soft and thick and creamy. So it would sit perfectly in a mix instead of the american polys that often overwhelmed other instruments in the mix.
It was so successful because it had no sound of its own, I've read. Never played a real JP-8, but this thing sure is fun to mess with. The panel is easy to get around when you spend more than 10 minutes with it. The demo presets are not very interesting (mostly sequences with loads of effects to show off the sequencer+effects bit), but strip all that away and you got a helluva polysynth there. Others will have to judge its authenticity, I just love the synth itself.

Arturia have copied the front panel 100%, I saw that when I went through the Jupiter-8 manual and every feature was in the exact place and did the exact same thing as the manual said. All the extra stuff is in a retractable panel you can bring up.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:03 pm

My PC didn't have the easiest time of it either. I'm running an athlon 3000+ at 2.2 Gigs. With 512 megs of RAM (Maybe a gig of RAM would solve the problem.)

That aside, the thing is just downright impressive. I've never played a real Jupiter-8 (probably never will), but this synth does have the same qualities that one would hear in Duran Duran, Howard Jones etc. Arturia really nailed this one.

I'll buy it.