Arturia Jupiter 8V

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:20 pm

A quick reminder that if you have not actually used the instrument that the software emulates, you should perhaps not post. I seem to remember you talking about an amazing emulation of an instrument you have never even seen, let alone played.
Sort of double miss here. I should perhaps shut up, not an entirely stupid idea ](*,)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:31 pm

so, has anyone try this in person. any comparison with the real thing?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm

Yes, but not enough for an adequate evaluation. I really need to spend a good hour or two pushing the each instrument to its limit to see if the other can match the sound.

In the brief A-B test that I did, the Jupiter 8V was surprisingly close to the Jupiter 8. I zeroed all of the parameters of both synths, turned off all of the Jupiter 8V's effects, and created some simple pads and basses. With a little bit of fine tuning, the Jupiter 8V was passable in blind tests (where my friends literally had their eyes closed while I played each instrument).

When I first played the Jupiter 8V (well before the A-B test), I thought, "This does not sound like a JP8." Appears that I was wrong.

WD

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 am

thank you for the initial review WDW. Glad to hear it from someone who has as much experience with the JP8 as you are. From that, I'm starting to convinced that it supposed to sounds very good.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:22 am

You're welcome. And thanks for the flattery. Not gospel; just an opinion.

WD

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for the info WDW..
I'm interested too in how close the Jupiter 8V matches the real Jupiter 8. But i've seen so many reports where people say its nothing like the real thing...

http://roland-jupiter.org/viewtopic.php?t=108
last post for example for example...
Why the massive difference of opinion across the web?
WDW any chance of posting up a few mp3's please?

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:35 pm

Take what you read with a grain of salt. In that same thread, it is mentioned that the MKS80 is a JP8 with JP6 circuitry. The MKS80 is the MKS80, just as the JP8 is the JP8 and the JP6 the JP6. Each is different, both in architecture and in sound. And, of course, there are three different publicly released architectures and operating systems for the MKS80--yes, I have all three in my studio.

As to the matter of the Jupiter 8V versus JP8 comparison, there are a lot of potential factors at play. The parameters of the patches and studio monitors, for example, can play a huge part in discerning the differences between the two.

To put it in perspective, my testing of the ARP 2600 emulations revealed that some patches were dead on, while others were way off.

I'll see what I can do about MP3s. Historically, I have been terrible at getting around to doing this for--oh, let's see--the ARP 2600 comparisons, the CS60/80 comparisons, the Minimoog comparisons, the MS20 comparisons, the PPG comparisons, the Prophet 5 comparisons, the Prophet VS comparisons,... :oops: But I will try to do better this time. As a caveat, I must mention that the JP8 is a friends and not currently in my studio; thus, I am at the mercy of my friend's schedule.

WD

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:25 am

Somehow I doubt all the character is there. Does it have that same liquidy quality at higher resonances? The 2 pole filter almost sounds like a band-pass at high resonance as well. Listen to how each of the voices has its own tolerances and how they react with one another. Sonic Projects OPX took this approach, and it's something I really like about polysynths.
Last edited by Solderman on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 am

That Dog Will Hunt. :lol:
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

thesnake383
Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno 60, JSQ-60, Linn Drum

Post by thesnake383 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm

WDW wrote:Yes, but not enough for an adequate evaluation. I really need to spend a good hour or two pushing the each instrument to its limit to see if the other can match the sound.

In the brief A-B test that I did, the Jupiter 8V was surprisingly close to the Jupiter 8. I zeroed all of the parameters of both synths, turned off all of the Jupiter 8V's effects, and created some simple pads and basses. With a little bit of fine tuning, the Jupiter 8V was passable in blind tests (where my friends literally had their eyes closed while I played each instrument).

When I first played the Jupiter 8V (well before the A-B test), I thought, "This does not sound like a JP8." Appears that I was wrong.

WD

EDIT: Nevermind. Newbies to vintage synths learn something new everyday: The preset banks (A B C D E F G H) were used to stored keyboard splits.

Do you think you could post an MP3 of the tests using the factory presets of both synths? I must be convinced because in this video ( @ 1:43~2:00, there is a difference in the sound.

juantwothree

Post by juantwothree » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I just have to say that after selling softsynths for years (and thusly getting them all for free) I no longer delude myself into thinking that they sound like their analog counterparts. They are easier to program, they are lighter (and usually cheaper, too), but please people, they don't *sound* like real analog synths. It's all about the filter and no software has gotten anywhere close to recreating a real analog filter (ok, maybe the Oddity...).

Do yourselves a favor - use yr $200 and go get a ESQ-M - that'll fare much better put head-to-head with a real Jupiter than the JP8V.

thesnake383
Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno 60, JSQ-60, Linn Drum

Post by thesnake383 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:34 pm

juantwothree wrote:I just have to say that after selling softsynths for years (and thusly getting them all for free) I no longer delude myself into thinking that they sound like their analog counterparts. They are easier to program, they are lighter (and usually cheaper, too), but please people, they don't *sound* like real analog synths. It's all about the filter and no software has gotten anywhere close to recreating a real analog filter (ok, maybe the Oddity...).
The OP-X does a VERY good job of recreating the sounds of the OB-X/OB-8

juantwothree

Post by juantwothree » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:39 am

Props def. go to sonicprojects - last year I moved overseas and had to leave the beast that is my OBXa behind so I picked up the OPX to keep my obie cravings at bay. I had a lot of fun w/ it but I'm back in the states now and the only thing I'm using my computer for now is to waste time on synth forums. I gotta admit I greatly miss the lfo sync, tho...

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:24 am

I never made these mp3s, but I got hold of these Jupiter 8V Vs Jupiter 8 files off a Dutch forum some time ago...
In each case the Jupiter 8V plays first followed by the real Jupiter 8...
This first mp3 shows the unison mode of each. There's a MASSIVE difference between the two.... the 8V sounds really sterile and lifeless...
[URL=http://www.zshare.net/audio/788574 ... 3 - 2.30MB
The next file shows single sounds, and the 8V fares much better this time round. Again the 8V plays first..
jup-diff2.mp3 - 11.49MB
I would have liked it if these examples had been more "musical" in nature shall I say, but once again I got these off the net ages ago..
Would love to find more examples of the 8V Vs Jupiter 8..
WDW......? :wink:

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 am

The JP8 is not mine. It's a friend's. Although his studio is relatively nearby (just under 100 miles), he lives several hundred miles away. And, recently, we have been using my studio rather than his. Thus, it'll be a while before he and I can set up a play date to tinker with the Jupes.

WD