Arturia Jupiter 8V

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Bitexion wrote:I don't think there will ever be any official oberheim VST's..you know, Viscount (current owners) are completely denying anyone the license to replicate it in software.
You can make your own VST and call it Operheim or Oxerheim..but no way you can use the correct name on it.
I am not holding my breath for the release of any Oberheim soft synths any time soon. But a boy can dream... ;-)

Cheers.

WD

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Has anyone found any links with demos/ mp3's etc of the Jupiter 8V?
I've been searching for days, but so far with no luck. I did see someone mention that there was one up at Yamaha.com/namm, but I couldn't see any... unless they were on a wind up?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:20 am

It's too early yet. The synth isn't released until March according to Arturia. Samples will come from them when the time is near.

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:35 am

WDW wrote:I am not holding my breath for the release of any Oberheim soft synths any time soon. But a boy can dream... ;-)
You've not heard of G-Media's mythical S.O.B..?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:44 am

Sure, but as long as they cannot slap a big proud OBERHEIM logo on their box and synth, it will slip into obscurity like all the other free synthedit "clones". Even though Gmedia doesn't use synthedit. I have a few Gmedia synths (Oddity and M-tron) and I know they make quality stuff based on own coding.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 am

RavenSmith wrote:Yeah I also read how the WOW and GMedia stuff trashed Arturia! You can also find it on this site too!
While not necessarily a better emulation, but GMedia Minimonsta is my pick and one of my all time favorite vst..that melohman..aah, I think most synth must have this feature 8) but I suspect that the new Origin is another class of it's own..supposed to be Arturia's best and upgradable with many features such new type of synths like the Jupiter-8V and Prophet V..if this one have the melohman feature, I'll probably do a sweet surrender :lol:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 pm

desmond wrote:
WDW wrote:I am not holding my breath for the release of any Oberheim soft synths any time soon. But a boy can dream... ;-)
Of course! In fact, I think that it was January 2006, when they leaked the screenshot. But that was a year ago. I'm impatient to get it in my hands. Last that I read was they G-Media is fine-tuning the CPU-usage...and, unfortunately, had to drop some features because they could not get the CPU-usage down low enough.

The advantage of having Arturia also working on an Oberheim emulation is that they will port it to Origin, thereby allowing the use of Obie filters with the other soft synths' components.

Personally, I would like to see SEM, Obie (OBX, OBXa, OB8) and Matrix emulations.

Cheers.

WD

midi2
Gear: Alesis S4+,Yamaha TG77,Yamaha TG500,Yamaha SY35,KORG 03R/W,Roland D-50,Roland A-33 x2,Oberheim mc1000,mc2000 ex

Post by midi2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 pm

desmond wrote:
What's S.O.B?

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 pm

midi2 wrote:
desmond wrote:
What's S.O.B?
What'd you call me?! :-P

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2006/01 ... state.html

Cheers.

WD

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:34 pm

And the original Sonic State post: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2614#

Cheers.

WD

chnarles

Post by chnarles » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:03 am

Hi guys, I'm surprised that nobody here seems to be aware of the OP-X by Sonic Projects.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/

This company is largely unknown but they've done a pretty good job of programming all the nuances of the OB-X. It's designed to be unstable, much like the original. Here is a sample:

http://azuv.com/opx-sample.mp3

Charles

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:17 am

chnarles wrote:Hi guys, I'm surprised that nobody here seems to be aware of the OP-X by Sonic Projects.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/

This company is largely unknown but they've done a pretty good job of programming all the nuances of the OB-X. It's designed to be unstable, much like the original. Here is a sample:

http://azuv.com/opx-sample.mp3

Charles
Actually, I knew about it, but, because they don't have a Mac-compatible VST, it does me no good; thus, it is off my radar.

However, for PC users, it is a nice OBX emulator.

Cheers.

WD

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:30 am

One thing that is lacking on OPX is the portamento emulation. The OBX's portamento is something distinctive in the real Obie sound. All of those voices sliding slightly out of sync. Massive! The OPX doesn't attain that sound. I suspect that there is something to the CPU load in this respect; hence, that feature is not realistically doable yet.

Cheers.

WD

chnarles

Post by chnarles » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:47 am

Oh yeah, that's a bummer about not having a Mac version, unless you want to fork out a bunch of money to get Reaktor. Let's hope that SOB turns out to be something good.

As for the portamento thing, I think I recall reading something about that on the Sonic Projects website. I know that they have made some improvements to the code since it was introduced so maybe they've addressed that issue. I have noticed with the "spread" feature that the envelopes and filters can be (purposely) out of sync but haven't checked to see if it works with the portamento. I'll have to give it a try.

Charles

WDW

Post by WDW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:58 am

Yeah, it is indeed a bummer about the lack of native VST support on the Mac. I would surely have bought OPX a long time ago, were it supported.

And picking up Reaktor, merely to use OPX, is not a realistic option.

With respect to the "spread," I believe that that is another of the holdups for GMedia's S.O.B., although I think that GMedia was going to try to deliver a lot more polyphony than the OPX (and real OBX). Maybe they will be able to do it with limited poly. Ah, there I go speculating.

Cheers.

WD