Arturia Jupiter 8V

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Hehe, I just tried it on my parents' ancient computer, to have it lock up and crash when engaged Hold mode and ran the mouse across the keyboard. But this computer is awful. It's like complaining about not being able to run the latest games on a P-III 800Mhz w/ no graphics card, kind of.

But under normal playing conditions (mostly monophonic since I don't have a MIDI keyboard here) it worked just fine with almost no CPU load. Polys want lots of CPU power the more sophisticated they get because of heavy realtime algorithms to prevent aliasing, overload and distortion when more than 1 key is held.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:32 pm

Been messing about with it, and I actually managed to create a slightly gentler version of the synth (OB-X?) from Rush's "Witch Hunt". The sound, if what I heard about the original, seems to be close to what I'd expect. But since I like to have a wide variety of presets to start off with and modulate to the point where I have it where I want it, I'll hold my breath on the greatness of it until I can get my hands on it.

That said, I am very much looking forward to an opportunity to tinker with the full version proper. Arturia hasn't failed me yet, and once the JP-8V is in, I'll look into getting the full version of the CS-80V, which I've been GASing over for so very very long now...
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

GM

Post by GM » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:52 pm

The Jupiter 8v does not sound like the real deal. But when playing around with the demo I was able to make some really nice sounds. Some analogue sounding too.

The one that does not agree with me can try to replicate these sounds on the Jupiter 8v.
http://www.matrixsynth.com/blog/media/r ... yRevDemos/
The ones I have in mind is 001 008 010. Prove me I'm wrong ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:58 am

For one thing, they are DRENCHED in reverb and delay effects..second, would you know how to make those sounds on a real Jupiter-8?

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:29 am

Ive tried the demo and the sound differs a bit from my hardware. Specially the resonance.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

midi2
Gear: Alesis S4+,Yamaha TG77,Yamaha TG500,Yamaha SY35,KORG 03R/W,Roland D-50,Roland A-33 x2,Oberheim mc1000,mc2000 ex

Post by midi2 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:49 pm

JJQ wrote:Ive tried the demo and the sound differs a bit from my hardware. Specially the resonance.
I was expecting that.I ve never heard of a real jupiter but the filter on the emulation sounds like a modern VA filter - even the JX is better

oberheim
Gear: Lots of Korg's, Kawai's, Roland's, Akai's and Emu's. Plus a Yamaha, Nord and Oberheim.

Post by oberheim » Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 am

What's with the pitch bend on the 8V? it's horrible... you can hear the sound stepping up in tones as you bend the wheel - not good :roll:
[RO] SH101, D550, D-110 JV1080, MKS70, S750, S550 [KW] K1r, K5m, R-50 [AK] S700, S1100, [EMU] ESI32, ESI2000, Proteus 1 [KRG] EX800, X5dr, M3r, Wavestation SR, P3, Symphony, DW6000, DSS1, DS-8, Poly61, S3, DDD1, [NV] A Station, [OB] Matrix1000, [NRD] MicroMod, [YAM] TX7

anj

Post by anj » Thu May 17, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, I decided to take the plunge, only to find out the darn thing's not shipping in the USA yet :shock: . I'm glad I got the OPX Pro to tide me over until I get the JP8. Should make a pretty decent pair of soft-synths.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Fri May 18, 2007 5:40 am

aXL wrote:Been messing about with it, and I actually managed to create a slightly gentler version of the synth (OB-X?) from Rush's "Witch Hunt". The sound, if what I heard about the original, seems to be close to what I'd expect. But since I like to have a wide variety of presets to start off with and modulate to the point where I have it where I want it, I'll hold my breath on the greatness of it until I can get my hands on it.

That said, I am very much looking forward to an opportunity to tinker with the full version proper. Arturia hasn't failed me yet, and once the JP-8V is in, I'll look into getting the full version of the CS-80V, which I've been GASing over for so very very long now...
Now you mention Rush, could you get something like Rush' Manhattan Project brass pad?(powerwindows album, pretty sure its a Jupiter or oberheim, what do you think?). that would be great.
Also, I tried the CS80V expecting to sound like vangelis stuff, but there's no way (or at least I couldn't) get the vangelis "signature" lead sound, if you got it close to it, please let me know...
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

RedElectricMoon

Post by RedElectricMoon » Sat May 19, 2007 6:11 pm

A bit off topic but regarding the post above, I've found an old clip of CS80V tweaking on my hard disk. Just a bunch of various sounds I could squeeze from this synth with a CS1x controller + expression pedal. I think, at 1:15 it starts to sound a bit Vangels-ish.

http://www4.webng.com/martinp268/cs80v%20improv1.mp3

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat May 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Vangelis' signature sound is not just a CS80, it's also the VP330 and Rhodes, and later on FM synths. It's all-in quite easy to make typical Blade Runner sounds, and others. It's just that the filter is such a pain in the :shock: to program. For most of the typical BR sounds you really need the mod matrix.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Forget about CS80V - it doesn't make this thick chorusing effect the real CS80 or CS70m does. I tried different settings of the individual voice tuning but it produced only a shadow of the real sound.

All software synths are like that - only a shadow.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:29 pm

martinp268 wrote:All software synths are like that - only a shadow.

:roll:

you know, when you make your bias THAT obvious, it kinda devalues your complaints about SPECIFIC software synths.

I'm not judging the CS-80v vs CS-80, as I haven't A/B'd them (I'm better martin hasn't either though) but blanket statements like that are just retarded.

If you can't make good music with softsynths, it's not the softsynths' fault.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, it's my opinion, aparently not welcome on this forum but still... I can't believe so many people fall for the soft synth marketing cheat while this technology does not deliver yet.
I'm not judging the CS-80v vs CS-80, as I haven't A/B'd them (I'm better martin hasn't either though) but blanket statements like that are just retarded.
Retarded or not, it's the fact proven empirically by an A to B test. I'm biased for a reason. Apart from that, I've tried very many software synths and definitely those considered best - they are not for me, hence my generalisation about all soft synths (even the FM8 that initially impressed me, soon became unbearable).

I've never made music that pleased me on a soft synth but I accomplished that (with a lot of fun) using merely CASIO CT470 keyboard, not to mention the traditional synthesizers. I'm convinced, people who say Jupiter 8V sounds like Roland Jupiter 8 exaggerate. Maybe a couple of simple sounds can be identical but that's it. In JP8V's case, I was again totally disappointed by the demo - flat, boring, lifeless, weak, ouch.

Jupiter 8V is an interesting piece of software. If only it wasn't marketed as a professional musical instrument and a Jupiter 8 replacement, which it is not, my attitude wouldn't be this hostile.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:06 pm

MitchK1989 wrote:you know, when you make your bias THAT obvious, it kinda devalues your complaints about SPECIFIC software synths.

A quick reminder that if you have not actually used the instrument that the software emulates, you should perhaps not post. I seem to remember you talking about an amazing emulation of an instrument you have never even seen, let alone played.