GMedia String Machine

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
RavenSmith

GMedia String Machine

Post by RavenSmith » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Virtual string machine

The modern, polyphonic string synthesizer was invented in 1970 by Ken Freeman, a British keyboard player and engineer who discovered that if you layered a note with another detuned and slightly modulated version of itself, a pleasant ‘chorused’ sound resulted.

Even though Ken's invention wasn't the first instrument of this genre to be commercially released (That honor fell to the Eminent organ company with their 310 Unique organ) there's little doubt that Ken's vision contributed immeasurably to electronic music over the next few decades in the guise of over 100 different models by a huge variety of manufacturers.

After all, what would the intro to Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here have sounded like without those moody intro chords? Can anyone imagine Oxygene without the swirling tones imparted by the Eminent 310 and Small Stone Phaser? Likewise, what would Lonnie Liston Smith’s Expansions have sounded like without that effervescent Solina?

The above are just a few examples of how, over the last few decades, the evocative sound of the string machine has significantly contributed to an almost endless array of tracks from artists as diverse as Air, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, The Cure, Parliament, Herbie Hancock, Joy Division, Jean Michel Jarre, Thomas Dolby, Genesis and more recently Kasabian and Goldfrapp.

The VSM is a simple but highly powerful Virtual String Machine which captures many of the sounds from this genre of instruments, containing a wealth of sounds from a small mountain of classic and rare string machines. These range from the first commercial string ensembles (Eminent 310 & Freeman String Symphonizer) through to the highly lauded Solina, Elka Rhapsody, Logan String Melody, Korg PE2000 and many more.

With the sheer amount of instruments captured within the VSM it's simplicity itself to recreate all those golden string machine tones from yesteryear. However, with the VSM's comprehensive, yet intuitive feature-set, plus a two-layer option it's now possible to create your own hybrid instruments taking these sublime vintage tones into hitherto unchartered territory.

The sounds from 17 classic and rare string machines
Over 2.5Gb of data
66 individual sample sets
49 notes, each individually sampled and looped
Dual Layer & Split Keyboard capability
Vintage style Ensemble & Phaser effects
Filter section with Lowpass, Bandpass & Highpass modes
Two Envelope Generators
Pitch LFO
Dynamic control including filter aftertouch
500+ Patch library

INSTRUMENTS

ARP Omni, ARP Quartet, Crumar Multiman, Elka Rhapsody, Eminent 310, Freeman String Symphonizer, Junost 21, Korg PE-2000, Logan String Melody, Oberheim OB-8, Oberheim Xpander, Moog Opus 3, Polymoog, Roland RS202, Solina, Yamaha SK-15, Yamaha SS-30

Audio Demos here: http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/Strin ... html#Demos
Wow!

This I can't wait for!
Looks like a killer instrument! :D

Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Looks very nice, but there's no Godwin emulation :cry: :cry:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 pm

It doesn't seem to be available for purchase yet. I want the Eminent. I already have all the others sampled.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:55 pm

sounds cool.... any idea on what the price will be?
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Seems promising indeed, although I would have preferred emulations of the Godwin string concert (as mentioned by Roberto), Welson symphony stereo and the Jen Superstringer instead of the SK-15, Arp Quartet since I don't like the strings on those.

And why the inclusion of stuff like the Xpander and OB-8? those ain't no genuine stringers...oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:24 pm

Their Mellotron (M-Tron) is amazingly authentic since it was basically a sample playback device in the first place, they just had to sample the sounds on each key with good equipment to capture the exact sound. Let's hope they do a similar good job on the stringers.

I'm more than happy with the Eminent 310 (jarre strings here we come), logan, rhapsody, ss-30 (!) etc. No need to complain.

Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:58 pm

If this had contained a Godwin, I would be regretting the sale of my Symphony 849 just a little less tonight :cry:

Andante
No Longer Registered

Post by Andante » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Looks and sounds good. I've been thinking of going completly over to software but the lack of a good string ensemble has stopped me... Now I guess that there's no turning back. :P

Nah... I 'll keep my Solina. What's a software emulation compared to the real deal? ;)

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Tis the one bit of synth I don't have in my sample set. I have some samples of the RS-09 and the Opus 3 but not the Solina. If it is affordable like the M-Tron then I might have to spring for it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Post by nylon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 pm

According to nova musik the MRSP is 150, but they haven't listed their price yet. I really want one of these. It'll fix my fixation on getting a stringer.
oscillate wildly.

razorriley

Post by razorriley » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 pm

haha i initially read this "G-String Media Machine". i had to do a double take.

CTB

Post by CTB » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:42 pm

razorriley wrote:haha i initially read this "G-String Media Machine". i had to do a double take.
Oddly enough, that will also cost you $150 for a good one...
CTB

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 pm

In another ten years every synthesizer ever built will be available in a soft version...

Soft MG-1 anyone? :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Excellent article on Ken Freeman in this month's Sound on Sound.

The demos sound really, really good. They don't have an example of the classic Jarre phased Eminent 310 sound though; probably a good thing. It would be hard NOT to play Oxygene on it! I think I'll stick with my Best Service sounds on the Emu. The Logan and the Solina are my favourites.

submodern

Post by submodern » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:46 pm

Is it wrong that the part I'm most interested in is their emulation of a vintage phaser? Hopefully it can be used separately as a VST/AU effect...

The synth itself looks nice also, even though I'm generally rompler-phobic. I would love to have GMedia do a whole vintage effects pack though, along the lines of what UAD did with the Roland gear. Virtual analog flanger, chorus, phaser, and delay with some real character would be sweet...