Mac G4 question!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
frequency

Mac G4 question!

Post by frequency » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Some guy is selling a Mac G4 for 250 euro's - that's around 270 dollars.
The gear is supposed to be working absolutely fine and has never encountered problems or flaws.
Now, I only want the damn thing to work as a back up for an MV8000, and maybe to run one or two music programs on, but certainly nothing too demanding.
Should I get it????

jimi_t

Post by jimi_t » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:30 pm

I would anyways - they're about as solid as a computer gets, should run OSX no problem and comes in a tasteful tower case - go for it!
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm

I say it depends. What model is it? Is a Dual G4? More details please.

jimi_t

Post by jimi_t » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm

KnowGood wrote:I say it depends. What model is it? Is a Dual G4? More details please.
Despite it's seemingly exorbriante price ($325), thats a decent price for even a low spec or mirror G4 Tower in Europe.
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49

gnusynth

Post by gnusynth » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:36 am

I'm running on a 1GHz Power PC G4 Powerbook with 768 MB of RAM. Has plenty of gas for music. I'd be happy with a G4 at half that speed. Remember that Power PC CPUs like the G4 are much faster at doing music than their modest speed may indicate. They exceed most other general purpose CPU chips at doing things in parallel, like digital music processing. That's easy to program because the CPU can be told to guess that the instructions for the next section of the wave to be decoded is going to be much the same so it divides the music into windows and processes it all at once. kind of an innacurate oversimplification but I am simple today. Google Altivec if you want a real explanation. IMHO Power PCs are the best things going at any speed. Is Altivec dead now that Macs went to the dark side with Intel? Nope. A variant of it now is alive and well in the PS3 and Xbox 360. Oh well there I go again...
Tom

[Kyma, OASYS PCI, K2000RS]

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:11 am

gnusynth wrote:I'm running on a 1GHz Power PC G4 Powerbook with 768 MB of RAM. Has plenty of gas for music. I'd be happy with a G4 at half that speed. Remember that Power PC CPUs like the G4 are much faster at doing music than their modest speed may indicate. They exceed most other general purpose CPU chips at doing things in parallel, like digital music processing. That's easy to program because the CPU can be told to guess that the instructions for the next section of the wave to be decoded is going to be much the same so it divides the music into windows and processes it all at once. kind of an innacurate oversimplification but I am simple today. Google Altivec if you want a real explanation. IMHO Power PCs are the best things going at any speed. Is Altivec dead now that Macs went to the dark side with Intel? Nope. A variant of it now is alive and well in the PS3 and Xbox 360. Oh well there I go again...
I used to use a 1.25GHz Powerbook for music stuff, then switched to a G5 iMac, now I've got an intel Macbook. You're fooling yourself if you think they're comparable to modern stuff for audio work.

As an example, I had a Live 5 set that was around 65% CPU on the G4. When I ran it on the G5 it was hitting around 45%, then on the Macbook it was around 28% on Live 5, when I got Live 6 which supports dual processors it dropped to around 20%.

G4s were good when they were new, (ie seven years ago) but processing power has moved on in a big way.

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 am

G4 is archaic as f#@%!

don't do it. save a few hundred more and build yourself a wicked fast desktop PC.

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:54 pm

i would say it depends on which model
You can defenitly make music with it, whether G4 dark gray, G4 quicksilver or G4 Dual Mirror Doors
but most of the new soft synths are CPU hungry.
for that kind of money I would think it's a quicksilver
cause the G4 Dual mirror doors is still hovering over $500 (dollars) in this area (midwest USA)
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600

gnusynth

Post by gnusynth » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:27 am

Hey Rickrhino, is that Chief Blackhawk? Being from the midwest Calumet region ages ago it kind of looks familiar. I'd be careful what I would pay for a G4 but I would not call it outmoded just yet. They are holding their value for a reason. IBM is still using the ppc chip in their high end server line with significant upgrades all the time. They have far too much invested in PPC to drop it. It is far from dead. Just runs too hot to clock up and put into consumer laptops. The architecture of the chip itself is still being imitated to this day. What I like to do is to have more than one of 'em going. I have 3 G3 machines and a G4. I'm planning on upgrading one of my G3s to a G4 when I get the time and getting another G4 soon. It looks like they are reproducing. Luckily I have the room for all of that gear. My primary apps are DSP assisted so I have plenty of power. No CPU issues at all. I know that is contrary to the BIG CPU consumer market but as long as I do not get nicked too bad for the older CPUs Id rather spend my money on more DSP. Kind of old school, but this *is* a vintage forum and all. If you are entry level or on a tight budget buy older versions of the apps you like that fit into the box, from the same era. The used software goes on the cheap and it is easy to keep her good and legal. Other gear like older MIDI patchbays and audio interfaces are at sick prices now too. You're not just saving on pretty CPU boxes. I agree that you cannot put a brand new CPU hungry software beast into one of these older machines. Don't do it. These were top end machines in their day and you can gets yesterdays pro rig at bargain prices now. And Stay Away from yesterdays Bad Ideas. Hindsight is 20:20. Pick from the cream of the crop only. Id like to start a new HOWTO thread on how to get a decent rig going on these older machines. Show others what the crazies are doing right now. When you look at combining PPCs with backleveled software and older audio/MIDI interfaces you really end up saving a bundle. More cash available for real analog gear! In my case I keep upgrading my DSP hardware but times are a changin. Still looking for that Polivoks!
Tom

[Kyma, OASYS PCI, K2000RS]

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:39 am

gnusynth wrote:Hey Rickrhino, is that Chief Blackhawk? Being from the midwest Calumet region ages ago it kind of looks familiar. I'd be careful what I would pay for a G4 but I would not call it outmoded just yet. They are holding their value for a reason. IBM is still using the ppc chip in their high end server line with significant upgrades all the time. They have far too much invested in PPC to drop it. It is far from dead. Just runs too hot to clock up and put into consumer laptops. The architecture of the chip itself is still being imitated to this day. What I like to do is to have more than one of 'em going. I have 3 G3 machines and a G4. I'm planning on upgrading one of my G3s to a G4 when I get the time and getting another G4 soon. It looks like they are reproducing. Luckily I have the room for all of that gear. My primary apps are DSP assisted so I have plenty of power. No CPU issues at all. I know that is contrary to the BIG CPU consumer market but as long as I do not get nicked too bad for the older CPUs Id rather spend my money on more DSP. Kind of old school, but this *is* a vintage forum and all. If you are entry level or on a tight budget buy older versions of the apps you like that fit into the box, from the same era. The used software goes on the cheap and it is easy to keep her good and legal. Other gear like older MIDI patchbays and audio interfaces are at sick prices now too. You're not just saving on pretty CPU boxes. I agree that you cannot put a brand new CPU hungry software beast into one of these older machines. Don't do it. These were top end machines in their day and you can gets yesterdays pro rig at bargain prices now. And Stay Away from yesterdays Bad Ideas. Hindsight is 20:20. Pick from the cream of the crop only. Id like to start a new HOWTO thread on how to get a decent rig going on these older machines. Show others what the crazies are doing right now. When you look at combining PPCs with backleveled software and older audio/MIDI interfaces you really end up saving a bundle. More cash available for real analog gear! In my case I keep upgrading my DSP hardware but times are a changin. Still looking for that Polivoks!
yep that's him the famous Sauk Chief
better known as the face of the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team
i'm not a hockey fan but since I'm new to this forum I had to find a quick avatar that kind of represents where I'm from.

back to subject:
I remember running a Protools Mix plus on a Beige G3 300mhz
and because of the digi-cards doing the processing it really did not slow down
the computer, most of the projects were around 32-48 tracks
and if we did run out of processing power we just bounce some track out and back in.

I agree with gnuynth...
you should stick to the older software that matched that era
for example a quicksilver G4 with a DSP card like the older
T.C. Electronics Powercore or Universal Audio UAD1(the originals were marketed under the Mackie brand)
now at days you can find those cheap or the Creamware stuff (but I'm not sure if it was Mac compatible)
I still own a G3 beige tower and I'm running an older program (Opcode Studio Vision) therefore I will never
upgrade that poor thing cause it is solid at MacOS9.2.2
As for my G4 dual 1.25ghz dual mirrors model,well at this point I feel it will stay in MacOSX 10.3.9 for a long long time
because all my curent programs are running smooth and I wouldn't want to interupt that.
I'm running a Digi001 protools 6.4, which is the last supported version for the 001, so if I upgrade to OSX 10.4(tiger)
it will not be compatible with Protools 6.4, do you see how I can open a can of worms ?
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600