Do people really pay this much

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
supermel74

Do people really pay this much

Post by supermel74 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

for a soft synth? http://cgi.ebay.com/ACCESS-VIRUS-POWERC ... dZViewItem

And you don't even get the packaging or a cd, they just email you the file.

valdiorn

Post by valdiorn » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm

IMO the price is pretty steep, and if you want more than 16 voices you need to buy the "unlimited" licence, and that's even more money...
Why not just buy an actual Virus? :)
http://www.myspace.com/notindemand
Life's a b***h, get a f**k helmet!

spr

Post by spr » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 pm

Yeah, I'm a Powercore user, and I wouldn't pay that much either (and that's cheaper than the going rate at places like audioMIDI etc.). Of course I have a Virus C, but a 2nd hand Virus B or Classic would be a much better deal I think. The real issue is that to use more than one DSP, you need to pay an extra $250 or so! So to use it like any other plug-in (as much as your system can handle), you're talking $600-650.

TC are apparently working on a new and improved version... Some folks just don't like to work with hardware interfaces maybe? $600 could get you several high quality soft-synths though. With stuff out there like Reaktor, Massive, Absynth, Rapture, Komplexer, Arturia emus etc. etc. etc., I can't see how this would be flying off the shelves...

spr
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3