not expensive audio interface

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
zielvis
Gear: Logic Express 8, Cameleon 5000, Arturia Analog Factory Experience; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; Korg Kaossilator; G&L ASAT guitar, AdrenaLinn III.

not expensive audio interface

Post by zielvis » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm

Hello,

I need to buy an audio interface - if anyone can provide me with some advice, I'd be grateful :)

I can buy Edirol UA 25 for about 200 $. Do You think it's a good idea? Anybody's got experience with this interface?

Let me add, that:
- I need to be able to record in stereo my synth(s) and groovebox(es) and guitars,
- I will use it with MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz (in case it makes any difference) and Logic and/or Live
- I'm also considering Line 6 UX 2 - it has all those guitar amp simulations etc. as a bonus but it's not a must for me.

Do You recommend any of those two - or maybe something else (in similar price, please) ?

What do You think? Thanks in advance.

Marcin
MacBook, Logic Express 8, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Microrock Pro, Arturia Analog Factory Experience, a bunch of plugins; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; G&L ASAT Leo Fender signature guitar, AdrenaLinn III, AdrenaLinn II

psiapir

Post by psiapir » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:13 pm

Have you considered Tascam US-122? It's the furthest end amongst audio int-faces as labelled by many, although I've been pretty much happy with it. I needed a compact Audio/Midi unit.... Oh, I've never encountered any hassle in setting up basic stuff with it, as opposed to what I heard about it. But you can plug one stereo only (or 2 monos).. After all, you get what you pay for.. It's really cheap
Roland Alpha Juno 1 | Roland Super JX + pg800

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Post by ficusrock » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:20 pm

I haven't used the Edirol, but I have used the Presonus Firebox, which is a good unit for that price range. I would highly recommend any MOTU products, such as the Ultralite, 828mkII, or Traveler. I recently purchased a MOTU Traveler and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, the MOTUs will be quite a bit more expensive. You can find good deals for used gear, but probably not $200.

Let me know if you have any questions, I use a Mac with Logic, as well.

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Save yourself the hassles now and get yourself a firewire interface. Get something like the PreSonus Inspire which can be found in your price range, or maybe a used Edirol FA-66. I've used the FA-66 with LE7 and have never experienced any latency. The MOTU stuff is great as well, and for about $50-$100 more you may be able to track down the first 828 (non mkII).

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Firewire

Post by ficusrock » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

Yeah, definitely go with Firewire if you have a Mac. Also, you generally don't need to be afraid of used interfaces as long as they aren't beat up. Just confirm with the seller that the unit is working and doesn't have any problems.

zielvis
Gear: Logic Express 8, Cameleon 5000, Arturia Analog Factory Experience; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; Korg Kaossilator; G&L ASAT guitar, AdrenaLinn III.

Post by zielvis » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:15 am

Thank You for Your advice.

I have to use the opportunity to ask those of You who use Logic Express 7 a question I'm trying to find an answer for for some time:

What does it mean that Logic Express (in opposite to Pro) does not have a feature like "external instruments" (the comparison of the two on Apple web site says so).

Possibilities that come to mind are: a) its sequencer cannot control external hardware gear (like my Wavestation A/D for example); b) its sequencer cannot control external software gear (like Wavestation from Legacy Collection for example)

I received signals that both of the above ARE possible -- what does it mean then???
MacBook, Logic Express 8, Camel Audio Cameleon 5000, Microrock Pro, Arturia Analog Factory Experience, a bunch of plugins; Yamaha: PSS-480, PSS-590; G&L ASAT Leo Fender signature guitar, AdrenaLinn III, AdrenaLinn II

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:31 am

zielvis wrote:Thank You for Your advice.

I have to use the opportunity to ask those of You who use Logic Express 7 a question I'm trying to find an answer for for some time:

What does it mean that Logic Express (in opposite to Pro) does not have a feature like "external instruments" (the comparison of the two on Apple web site says so).

Possibilities that come to mind are: a) its sequencer cannot control external hardware gear (like my Wavestation A/D for example); b) its sequencer cannot control external software gear (like Wavestation from Legacy Collection for example)

I received signals that both of the above ARE possible -- what does it mean then???
Please read:

I'm trying to help you the best I can, but you are making it very difficult. What is it that you want LE7 to do? What do you want from Logic? Do you have the money for LP7? If so then buy LP7. If you don't, then get LE7. The upgrade from LE7 to LP7 is the difference between them if you had just ended up buying LP7 in the first place. What this means is that you are not stuck with LE7 if you find you are limited to what you can do with it, unless you buy the academic version.
Last edited by KnowGood on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:11 am

E-mu 0202/0404 USB could also be a very good cheap alternative, since it is known to have great audio quality, dedicated midi interface to use with their X2 line of software (which supposed to be good). But more above it is the great software bundle you may want, which including the Live Lite and Amplitube LE. Both just have a new updated OSX driver.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:48 pm

I know I'll get flamed for this, but a real budget Firewire audio interface is the Behringer FCA 202. Works good enough for me, but it may not be all that you want. Still, it only set me back about 60 bucks, including shipping. And it came with the (at the time) latest lite version of Live.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:23 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I know I'll get flamed for this, but a real budget Firewire audio interface is the Behringer FCA 202. Works good enough for me, but it may not be all that you want. Still, it only set me back about 60 bucks, including shipping. And it came with the (at the time) latest lite version of Live.

Woof! - Scott
Scott, why would you get flamed? I'd take that cheap little firewire box over a more expensive USB one any day. Especially anything made by M-Audio.

I explain this every so often to people at another forum for computer recording that I'm a member of, that I should just set up a FAQ page about USB/Firewire for computer recording. What they never realize is that USB seldomly travels at its highest rate of 480mbps. h**l, you're lucky if it ever travels at 400mbps. Whereas firewire always travels at 400mbps - EVERYTIME.

Looks good on paper or in theory:

USB - 480mbps > firewire - 400mbps

...but doesn't hold true in practice.

zielvis

Post by zielvis » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:43 pm

KnowGood wrote: I'm trying to help you the best I can, but you are making it very difficult. What is it that you want LE7 to do? What do you want from Logic? Do you have the money for LP7? If so then buy LP7. If you don't, then get LE7. The upgrade from LE7 to LP7 is the difference between them if you had just ended up buying LP7 in the first place. What this means is that you are not stuck with LE7 if you find you are limited to what you can do with it, unless you buy the academic version.
Thank You, KnowGood! That's the most competent answer I've got so far. And finally I'm starting to understand.

I'm trying to learn about it not to decide between Express and Pro (I do not have money for the latter) but to decide between Express and something else. My needs are quite modest but having a few hardware instruments and willing to be able to use soft synths in future, I wanted to find out what those "external instruments" meant here.

zielvis

Post by zielvis » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:53 pm

Does anybody know anything about EDIROL M-100 Fx? It's got the ability to be connected by USB to the computer, but it's said to be designed for video producers. It's got the inputs I need (for recording hardware synth - probably one at a time, not a whole orchestra.) and some FX.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:05 am

Eh - it's a Behringer and most people just jump on them for being that! But it works good for me, is cheap and sounds just fine. Never a problem.

Thanks for the explanation of how both systems work/run. I didn't know that!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Tidda

Re: not expensive audio interface

Post by Tidda » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:34 pm

zielvis wrote:Hello,

I need to buy an audio interface - if anyone can provide me with some advice, I'd be grateful :)

I can buy Edirol UA 25 for about 200 $. Do You think it's a good idea? Anybody's got experience with this interface?

Let me add, that:
- I need to be able to record in stereo my synth(s) and groovebox(es) and guitars,
- I will use it with MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz (in case it makes any difference) and Logic and/or Live
- I'm also considering Line 6 UX 2 - it has all those guitar amp simulations etc. as a bonus but it's not a must for me.

Do You recommend any of those two - or maybe something else (in similar price, please) ?

What do You think? Thanks in advance.

Marcin
I have the UA-25 and it's a geat little interface.
I'm using it on a PC but I'm sure it will work fine on a Mac too.
Some notes:
- Although it's marketed as a 96KHz interface, you can only either record or play on it at 96KHz. For full duplex operation (play and record at the same time), you will have to switch down to 48KHz
- decent enough (not noticable) latency figures (input latency: 7.5ms, output: 5.3ms @48KHz full duplex)
- Balanced inputs and outputs (very nice :D , you don't get that on all units in it's range)

Overall I would say it is perfect as a 2 in 2 out 48KHz interface.

Do you need Firewire? Not for 2 in 2 out 48KHz sound + MIDI in and out.
If you want more, I guess you will need Firewire or USB 2.0

To get the Firewire vs. USB discussion a bit in perspective again,
this is a USB1.1 device not 480, not 400 but a mere 12 Mbps.
Nevertheless it's doing fine for what it is.

Tidda

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Re: not expensive audio interface

Post by KnowGood » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 am

Tidda wrote:
I have the UA-25 and it's a geat little interface.
I'm using it on a PC but I'm sure it will work fine on a Mac too.
Yep, it works on Mac's without having to install any drivers as it it based off of CoreAudio. Edirol is great for that. Just plug it in and it works. No f**k around - EVER.