New PPG emulation -WaveSim

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Postby calyx93 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:42 am

They're easier to program than many think - it's just hard to remember the modulation abbreviations for the digital page and the tuning page, but it eventually gets memorised. Where it gets tricky is setting the key-wave tracking amount (coarse) and start waves - not always ideal and very trial and error.

Hey Bitexion - how's the sound? Are you enjoying it?
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Postby Bitexion » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 pm

So...many...abbreviations!! hehe. I can understand the people who thought it was a total pig to program. But I'm inching along with the manual next to me.
Didn't find a Waveterm manual so I'm just leaving that as it is at the moment. The synth itself is a full recreation anyway. At least regarding the features and quirky menus. I'd love to learn the WT too, it just looks so attractive in a "C64" oldschool way to me.

But it sounds lovely, kind of grungy, not the cleanest synth I've played with for sure. And it's fun to layer different waveforms and see what comes out. Didn't mess much with modulation yet. The creator says he's recreated the little quirks aswell. He's very well versed in the PPG synths, since he made OS's for the hardware versions. Lots of converted presets to play with anyways, he's converted all the factory provided sound disks to PC format.

And the fact that he created the 8.3 OS update for the hardware wave on the software platform says it all regarding the likeness. Although he says the filter needs a little more work.
The original 2.2 manual is peppered with grammar errors and even some made-up words. Maybe it's a very early version, was the only one I could find and it matches the VST's menu structure perfectly.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby calyx93 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Bitexion wrote:So...many...abbreviations!! hehe. I can understand the people who thought it was a total pig to program. But I'm inching along with the manual next to me.
Didn't find a Waveterm manual so I'm just leaving that as it is at the moment. The synth itself is a full recreation anyway. At least regarding the features and quirky menus. I'd love to learn the WT too, it just looks so attractive in a "C64" oldschool way to me.

After I had acquired my 2.2, I was interested in expanding it and so I talked to our fellow VSE member 'Waveterm' - he basically summed up the WT as much more difficult than the Waves and that you really have to use it regularly to become even somewhat productive with it. Not exactly inviting - but still intriguing in terms of wavetable creation.

Bitexion wrote:And the fact that he created the 8.3 OS update for the hardware wave on the software platform says it all regarding the likeness. Although he says the filter needs a little more work. The original 2.2 manual is peppered with grammar errors and even some made-up words. Maybe it's a very early version, was the only one I could find and it matches the VST's menu structure perfectly.

After upgrading to v8.3 and then finding out that the WaveSim was the development platform told me exactly what I needed to know, too. It must be good. Ahh - and I know that manual well - and it is just a funny mess. If you can obtain the 2.3 manual by Dominic Milano, the section about programming patches in 2.2 mode is much better and helped me understand it better than the original ever could. Hey - and it's not only the manual that has typographic errors - my 2.2 has 'Velosity Sensor' on the front panel under the 'Source' list - the quirks are just everywhere :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Postby Bitexion » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:00 pm

There are some demos where it seems like the Waveterm was used as a sequencer?

I managed to create some weird waveforms by inputting 1-63 in the harmonics row on pg 3 (?), but couldn't figure how to send it to the synth so I could hear it. I figured the number 1-63 generates sine waves of different amplitude.
This thing needs a manual. I was wondering, can you upgrade the 2.2 to 2.3? Is it merely an OS thing, or more serious differences? I noticed the 2.2 and 2.3 have different menu structures (it was coded on a 68000 CPU instead of the 6079 chip AFAIK)..that's why I lost faith when I only had a 2.2 manual and tried to program the 2.3 in the Wavesim demo. The 2.2 V6 is a full free VST version of the 2.2. Dunno if it hooks up to the Waveterm, though. But if I pay to register the whole WTC32 package I'll get emulated 2.2 and 2.3 Wave synth aswell as WT A, WTB and WTC emulation.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby calyx93 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Here's that 2.3 manual I spoke of - http://www.ppg.synth.net/docs/w23_dm.pdf

Bitexion wrote:There are some demos where it seems like the Waveterm was used as a sequencer?

Yes - it has (had, for the time) a monster sequencer or "event generator" that could drive a large PPG system. I think it has something like 99 tracks but isn't the easiest to use and best left to more modern methods. However, my interest lies in the creation of custom waves and wavetables, the 4-channel digital mixer (for combining up to four samples) and the resonator curves.

Bitexion wrote:I managed to create some weird waveforms by inputting 1-63 in the harmonics row on pg 3 (?), but couldn't figure how to send it to the synth so I could hear it. I figured the number 1-63 generates sine waves of different amplitude. This thing needs a manual.

I can only seem to find the manual in German online - you could order Paul Maddox's CD which has all of the manuals plus a wealth of other PPG related info and files. You can even download many of the PPG transient samples for the WT from his site on the download page (near the bottom).

Bitexion wrote:I was wondering, can you upgrade the 2.2 to 2.3? Is it merely an OS thing, or more serious differences? I noticed the 2.2 and 2.3 have different menu structures (it was coded on a 68000 CPU instead of the 6079 chip AFAIK)..that's why I lost faith when I only had a 2.2 manual and tried to program the 2.3 in the Wavesim demo.

I've seen some 2.2's now living lives as 2.3's - but they had to have some in-depth surgery to get there. The proz (processor) board is different , the DAC's are 12 bit, the RAM is expanded to 512k, there are eight individual outputs (requires a small board and jacks drilled/installed), the display is back-lit and slightly different and the OS is quite a change. I view the 2.3 OS in a similar light as the Grey Matter E! expansion for the DX-7 - it still needs to be in 2.2 mode for patch creation, but the new OS and hardware allows for multi-timbrality/combis to be created and managed + new MIDI functions.
calyx93

Postby Solderman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:38 pm

bumped. I tried the Wavesim free VST for PC in Ableton Live 5 yesterday. The extra banks definately sound good, and it has its own character well apart from a Prophet VS or Microwave. However, there is some odd kind of shifting latency for each played note, and it took me half an hour to realise the reason why half the voices weren't playing was because a knob called ???"bass"??? above the volume knob had to be turned from 10 to 5. (Shouldn't it be balance?) It also does strange things when Midi program changes are sent while notes are still playing, but this is more of a feature/flaw.
Still, it seems you could get pretty deep into it with wave sequencing and enveloped layering, and then move on up to the waveterm sim with more experience. Not bad.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby gcoudert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:31 pm

Just tried the free VST version. Not bad at all. Indeed, it's a bit grittier than the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V.

Gilles
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby chamomileshark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

I also noticed a latency, I tried to replace a Waldorf sequence with WaveSim in Cubase SX3 and it just didn't sound as tight. I hope Hermann will do some more development on this.
chamomileshark

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I've been talking to Hermann lately about buying a full version of the PPG suite from him. He doesn't really sell it because it was never fully finished. He stopped replying me before we agreed to a price. That was just before xmas. But he said he'd had some offers and sold it to people who got in touch directly. I dunno where he went off to, he didn't respond to the mail I sent past new years yet.

You can get a CD with all the Wave 2.2 and 2.3 documentation, lots of soundbanks and other useful things. Like a PPG toolkit. It can of course be used on his emulation aswell, but that's sold from a separate website.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby chamomileshark » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Yes, the CD is from Paul Maddox? I had a pdf of one of the manual but it only prints half the page (never seen that before!)

Let me know how you get on with Hermann please, I would be interested in the full suite also.
chamomileshark

Re: New PPG emulation -WaveSim

Postby SkyWriter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Not having any luck with Waveterm C demo (wtc32demo). The self-extracting .exe file comes up with ‘insufficient memory’ on an Atom powered XP/SP3 machine netbook. Many simulation don’t like virtual environments, so what platform will run this, and wavesim too?
SkyWriter

Gear: Moog: Voyager, sub37, little patty, slim phatty’s, moogerfoogers. TX816, matrix 6/6R, lexicon 300M/L, KSP8, H3000, GTR4000, H8000FW, etc..

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers