Native Instruments "Battery" - Drum/Sample softwar

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
kk994

Re: Native Instruments "Battery" - Drum/Sample sof

Post by kk994 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:26 am

not much to learn in Battery. If you bought it I guess you should learn the little there is to learn. If not then I guess you could look at it as a piece of musical wallpaper like all the other cracks out there...

Battery is initially confusing but after about 30 mins it's simple...

spr

Post by spr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:05 am

Battery 3 is a deep program, and can do quite a bit. You just need to do the sequencing. But it can be as simple as throwing samples into the cells, and playing the corresponding MIDI notes if you like. The library is probably worth the purchase price alone.

Good luck,
spr
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3

kk994

Re: thanks

Post by kk994 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:42 pm

clamshoe wrote:thanks spr. I bought Battery 2 used from a pawn shop and was going over the owners manual before installing. being new to software synth stuff I really couldn't tell from the book what exactly it did, other than provide cells to store drum sounds.

I assumed the sequencer was built in. That's what I get for assuming.

I didn't even know I needed an external sequencer to use it, and as I have no software seq, i think i'll sample some sounds and resell it.

your post sorted it all out for me. thanks for the useful info.
Apologies for my stroppiness... I thought this was going to be one of those threads where people can't even be bothered to load in the cracks they have and just go online asking questions without investing anything time or money wise.

Battery like I say is intially confusing but after a short time it becomes easy. As SPR said each cell can store one drum hit and each drumhit has it's own midi note number. Most of the controls at the bottom of the screen relate to enveloping/filtering and effecting the selected cells sample.

The two light indicators on each cell are mute solo buttons.

The only thing that is confusing or at least not immeadiately apparent is how to route to seperate outs or how to use use the same midi key to trigger to two layered cells. e.g.s velocity sensitive triggering of multi-layered hits. It involves the Mapping function and also over by the PAN control on the right of the screnn you decide what info each cell displays such as vol/note/output and then you can changes these individually.

You can check out a review here for a better overview.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/a ... ttery2.htm

You can also get some video tutorials here http://www.matsc.net/Kurs/Battery_2_Eng ... _Basic.htm

Again I apologise for my short handed remark. I was also working on assumption.

dr.sine
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Re: thanks

Post by dr.sine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:50 pm

clamshoe wrote:thanks spr. I bought Battery 2 used from a pawn shop and was going over the owners manual before installing. being new to software synth stuff I really couldn't tell from the book what exactly it did, other than provide cells to store drum sounds.

I assumed the sequencer was built in. That's what I get for assuming.

I didn't even know I needed an external sequencer to use it, and as I have no software seq, i think i'll sample some sounds and resell it.

your post sorted it all out for me. thanks for the useful info.
yeah i feel ya man. i bought Battery 2 new from Sweetwater, loaded it up and then drank heavily as i got more and more frustrated with not being able to figure out how the f**k it worked. then realized i needed the sequencer. but i just so happened to buy Acid Pro 5 the same time i bought Battery 2. thing is i still havent got them working. not because it's hard to do, but i havent hooked my computer up to the internet to register them, i also have to download some updated drivers for my interface so i can actually record into Acid rather than just programme beats.
i think the sounds on Battery are great though. i cant wait to use it. it pretty much has everything you could think of, and gives you the ability to change those sounds how ever you want. vit rates, lfo's osc's..ect...
My mind doth rove of its own accord.

spr

Post by spr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:34 pm

Any sequencer that supports Audio Units, VST, DXi, or RTAS under Pro Tools 7. I personally use it with Cubase. It really depends on your needs. Do you have a lot of outboard gear, work with loops etc. etc... It should be pretty straightforward to get it working with Acid Pro.

Good luck,
spr
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3