Any thoughts on the Gmedia Virtual String Machine?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
ChasIII
No Longer Registered

Any thoughts on the Gmedia Virtual String Machine?

Post by ChasIII » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:55 am

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/Strin ... chine.html

I saw the Winter Namm video demo and was wondering if anyone has gotten it yet and what they think of it.

Thanks.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:04 pm

I see now that Novamusik has it but it's $120 not the $100 we were initially told it would cost. The demos sound excellent and I'm reallyyy jonesing for it. But it's still a little expensive to me for what it is.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:04 pm

I see now that Novamusik has it but it's $120 not the $100 we were initially told it would cost. The demos sound excellent and I'm reallyyy jonesing for it. But it's still a little expensive to me for what it is.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:20 pm

It's not released yet.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:30 pm

I saw the NAMM thing and it looks like something in the same vein as the M-tron..so for me it's a definite to buy and I'm buying very little software these days.

chnarles

Post by chnarles » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:39 pm

If you're looking for something a little less pricey then there's the Stringer by Sonic Projects which costs $65. It doesn't have all of the rare, esoteric models that String Machine does but instead concentrates on the most popular ones (Arp, Solina, etc). Just from listening to the demos it sounds comparable to String Machine.

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/stringer/

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Re: Any thoughts on the Gmedia Virtual String Machine?

Post by aXL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Thought I should revive this thread here to announce that I just got home after buying VSM and Cubase 4, so I might have a say on the VSM later on.

Personally, I'm pretty psyched about it. G-Force has a good repertoire in emulation software, mostly for being extremely thorough, delivering musician-oriented software that isn't as expensive or CPU-heavy as Arturia's portfolio.

More at a later date.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I've had it for a month or two now, and had to order from Musicians Friend. It is the tits. A little overwhelming at first, they sampled so much gear and there are many presets for each instrument. But it doesn't leave me wanting for more as they all sound really good. The sampling appears to be pretty thorough, no cutting corners here....and effectively captured the range of sounds you can get from each machine. Their ensemble and phaser effects are really nice. I installed it on my Toshiba laptop with a speedy 7200rpm hard drive, then defragged so it runs nice and smooth. Setting the latency to a mere 12-18ms on my e-mu interface gets rid of any clicks or pops. Compared to other string machine programs I've seen out there, this one is the most comprehensive and satisfying. I'll never get a chance to lay hands on a solina or eminent, so VSM isn't like the next best thing - it IS the best thing. When you think about trying to assemble a collection of samples from all these machines, the price tag is nothing at all.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Been running the VSM for a while now and I have to say I'm impressed. The sounds are terrific and I was able to use it straight out of the box, creating a beautiful pad sound using the RS202 and a nice bass sound for the left hand using the Omni 2 bass preset. The phaser is also very nice, and next up I'm gonna buy impOSCar. If it's half as good as the VSM (and it's the most popular plugin here on VSE, apparently) I'll sell my soul to GForce in a heartbeat.

Also, even though it's probably the wrong sound for it, I got a good approximation of the intro sound to Saga's "Humble Stance" using the Polymoog sounds! That was a lot of fun.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Anyone running it under Vista ?
I just installed it on my new Vista PC, but no sound... I installed the M-Tron too (from the same manufacturer) and that one is older but it works perfectly !!??
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 am

I tried it for several time... A friend of mine got it. Ok there are a tons of samples... but imho it's overall sounds is quite flat. Try the Eminent and Solina free emulation for Reaktor5 (http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... aktor.html) they're simply amazing. I have a real SmallClone phaser and the phaser built inside these emulation are really close to the original. With these two emulation you can do all kind of synthetic strings... I prefer these free emulation (ok you need Reaktor) over the gmedia virtual string machine, hands down.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:58 pm

mao wrote:...I prefer these free emulation (ok you need Reaktor) .
Competition time!......Alas, my laptop bit the dust and is in the shop right now for what appears to be a hardware (main board) problem. I'm posting a demo when it gets up and running again.

Reaktor digression:
I used reaktor 4 but found it to be too buggy with windows (what isn't) AND a hardcore cpu/memory hog to boot. I tested reaktor by making a great emulation of the Jupiter-6 with audio in capability. Alas, there were exception errors, patches wouldn't save, and the program crashed...a lot. Maybe it was my programming skills. It was disappointing because it sounded great so I know it has that capability. And Reaktor 5 screenshots in your link appears to have a lot of GUI improvements, nonetheless I don't think I'll try reaktor again tho....had my fill for a while.

manticore101

Post by manticore101 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I use VSM and many other VST's in a Vista environment. No problem. Though I previously have expressed quite negative comments regarding this software, I think it is OK after all. Another good option is the beautiful "Stringer" VST from Falkelab. Although the software is dead simple, it contains amongst other some beatiful Eminent and ARP samples. IMO the Emiment samples sounds better in "Stringer" than in VSM. And the best thing, it's totally free of charge.
Roland Juno-60, SH-2, SH-101, Juno 106, S-330, MKS-20, JV-2080, Moog Prodigy, Solina String Ensemble, Yamaha DX-7, EX-5, P-250, Cheetah MS-6, Novation Superbasstation, AKAI S-3000CD, Korg CX-3, Alesis ION.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:48 pm

Another vote of kudos for Stringer. It has completely solved my yearning for VSM. Samples are nice and my VST host likes it.