Software Studios

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Software Studios

Post by stephen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:29 pm

A question (or two) for all you software-based fans...

What midi controllers do you use with your softsynths? Do you combine your setup with hardware synths or are your purely software-based?
Stephen(2)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:26 am

I use my V-Synth as a midi controller. Obviously then I use hardware with my software as well.

I think using hardware effects with software synths is a great way to get interesting new sounds. One of my favourite combos is to run a softy out through an analogue delay then cranked through my valve channel strip. There's no way you could tell it's software after that.

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:07 am

I have a dedicated USB MIDI controller (Evolution Mk-461c), but I'll also plug a Sequentix P3 into a MIDI interface.

I combine hardware and software...which has been the source of some frustration, but usually it's no trouble to run both.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

jimi_t

Post by jimi_t » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:09 am

I've an M-Audio Keystation 88es. It's all well and good for jamming with, but in hindsight I wish I had gotten a 2 octave knobby instead...
---------
MFB Synth Lite II, x0xb0x, ER-1 Mk.II, Yamaha TG-33, Axiom 49

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:46 pm

My setup's shrunk into just a puny M-Audio Oxygen8 controller + software synths - synth-wise that is. I've sold off the Juno 106 & the TX81Z and my Nord Electro & Korg EX800 are residing in our practice space elsewhere. Couple of hardware effects, acoustic instruments and all that, but synths are all in the box now.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi all,

I use my trusty 'ol microkorg as a controller for my laptop. Indeed I'm using it right now to try out a couple of newly installed softsynths. My wife has a Yamaha home keyboard which was out on loan to someone. When we finally got it back I discovered it has midi in/out so sometimes I use that as my controller so the korg can get on with the job of being a synth :)
Stephen(2)

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:32 am

and

I'd get a Drehbank as soon as poss as they've just been discontinued and are a bargain for what they are.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:20 am

I'd still want a Doepfer Schaltwerk as well, if for nothing else than the name and the looks :)

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:31 pm

I use an M-Audio Axiom 61 to control my softies. It also can be used to sync hardware as well, since it has an additional midi in/out (besides it's USB connection to the computer). It also has drum pads! For softies I use NI Komplete 4, Zebra2, Quadrasid, BFD, Phillharmonic and more.

Then I have my hardware synths. Which get sent midi info from my MOTU, although the axiom could do this as well. I like to get a synched pulse bass going on my Voyager and then add a synched arpeggio on my JP-6 over top. It's also cool to record a midi part with any old sound and then send it to one of the hardware synths with midi. This way, you can build complex, perfectly timed and played synth parts and then send them to an analog and record them back into the DAW.

I admit that hooking these vintage beasts into midi can be complex. Some, like my Maxi Korg, aren't even hooked in at all. When some of the softies I have sound so great, why would I go through all that hassle? Well that's a totally different thread but I try to use I blend of hard and soft.

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:51 pm

I use a M-Audio Radium 49, planning on replacing it with a Axiom 61 soon or maybe the new Akai keyboard thing if they release a 61 key version.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Using a very basic midi controller here, a U20 left over from my 80s studio. Works fine, velocity and aftertouch 9but not polyphonic aftertouch unfortunately). I'm not much of a knob twiddler while playing so the reletive lack of other controls is ok for me.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:27 pm

KorgKontrol and BCR2000. The former is shite (falling apart already)... the later so far so good.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 pm

MIDIman Oxygen-8 2-octave controller w/USB out to the laptop. Using an Echo Indigo I/O to handle latency. My music is about 1/3 software and 2/3 hardware.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS