Something non fruity

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
justinjbrown

Post by justinjbrown » Thu May 10, 2007 9:00 pm

I kind of prefer the simplicity and familiarity of Reason to be honest. It sounds light years better than FL studio, and essentially functions as an entire studio minus multi track audio recording. If you have a good piece of multitrack software that supports rewire you can use it along side your audio tracks seamlessly. It is also optimized to run on even the slowest computer..granted you sacrifice the ability to do anything cooler than drum/synth loops....
www.opticecho.com/lostChord.html
"subvert normality, destroy, kill ALL hippies..."

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 am

justinjbrown wrote:I kind of prefer the simplicity and familiarity
I think that pretty much sums it up right there.
justinjbrown wrote: It sounds light years better than FL studio
FLStudio doesn't "sound" like anything..it's a sequencer. It "sounds" like what you sequence with it....which in FLS case means any VST you care to sequence, instead of whatever Reason forces you to use. Unless Reason became VST compatible while I wasn't paying attention?
justinjbrown wrote:and essentially functions as an entire studio minus multi track audio recording.
That's like saying something is a really good car except for he fact it has no wheels....
justinjbrown wrote: If you have a good piece of multitrack software that supports rewire you can use it along side your audio tracks seamlessly. It is also optimized to run on even the slowest computer..granted you sacrifice the ability to do anything cooler than drum/synth loops....
so granted it pretty much sucks and is passe. OK then....
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 am

well, reason does have its merits and though it is very limited in comparison to other softwares like FL, Live, etc., it can be extremely useful to some. i know a lot of guys who do hip hop and reason is the only thing they use. to each his own. that said, the only thing i use reason for is to quickly s**t out some ideas (which i will later take into FL and use my hardware to make it sound like something real) and the scream4 and maelstrom. reason is good for what it does, but i feel that it takes too much work to get it to sound anything close to professional and is too limited to be on its own for what i do.

i have been in the same boat (trying to move away from FL) for awhile, but i still havent taken the plunge. only reason im considering it is because i want to be able to record and export in 24 bit, but FL doesnt support doing either. also, i want a better audio editor (been using protools at school and id dig the h**l out of it if it werent only RTAS [though there is a wrapper, not sure how it works] and only useable with digidesign or m audio hardware ).

the one thing i love about fl studio is the groovebox like drum sequencing in combination with being able to map each drum sample to DIFFERENT EFFECTS! (something that i will also use reason for on occasion). i tried battery and was unimpressed because theres no option to route each drum to different effects, its just that all in one bullshit (unless i missed something), and that is useless to me.
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Mon May 14, 2007 2:48 am

I used Fl(4-6) for years, it was what I started with. now I have since moved on to reason and don't even open Fl anymore, I am tempted to unisntall it but I know when I do I will need it for something.

I started with Fl4 + acid 4 and have moved to Reason + Cubase Sx3(I know 4 is out but I'm lazy)

I like reason, it takes a little bit to get around when you are used to FL, but the sound quality is amazing. Ab them and you will see.

that and exporting at 24/48 is awesome.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Mon May 14, 2007 6:04 am

The Cancer Years wrote:I used Fl(4-6) for years, it was what I started with. now I have since moved on to reason and don't even open Fl anymore, I am tempted to unisntall it but I know when I do I will need it for something.

I started with Fl4 + acid 4 and have moved to Reason + Cubase Sx3(I know 4 is out but I'm lazy)

I like reason, it takes a little bit to get around when you are used to FL, but the sound quality is amazing. Ab them and you will see.

that and exporting at 24/48 is awesome.
I thought I would be good at using reason.... but it just confuses me for some reason :lol:

I've installed it like three times now (Adapted 3.0) and every time I uninstall it a week later because I can't figure it out.
the cheese stands alone

luciano

Post by luciano » Mon May 14, 2007 12:25 pm

My tracks are almost 100% Reason. It's a well written piece of software and I find it very easy to use once you gain familiarity with. I also use FL sometimes, but really comparing the two is like apples and oranges, like comparing say reaktor to cubase. Reason is an instrument/fx bundle while FL is an all in one studio. Sure the built in instruments in FL are not that good, but you can sequence every thing you want with it, and also deals with audio, and the groovebox style sequencing is very funny, you can really do small tracks on the fly in minutes. I use it sparingly though because I don't really like the interface, while I really have the flow going with reason (and I love the scream 4 ;)). To each one his own I guess. Reason really fit my needs at the moment, but surely it's not enough alone. For example I make extensive use of a sound editor to make / modify the samples that I load in Reason.
"I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks." John Lee Hooker.

http://www.myspace.com/brainl

http://www.myspace.com/dogadog my Punk/garage band

justinjbrown

Post by justinjbrown » Tue May 15, 2007 4:53 am

FLStudio doesn't "sound" like anything..it's a sequencer. It "sounds" like what you sequence with it....which in FLS case means any VST you care to sequence, instead of whatever Reason forces you to use. Unless Reason became VST compatible while I wasn't paying attention?
Of course it can function as a sequncer...but... Every internally generated synth sound is c**p imho. The 303...sucks...the granular synth...sucks...the drumsynth...sucks...plucked? f**k s**t. Everything except for the giant step sequencer is s**t. Sure you can load a series of VST's into it that don't suck...but then it begins to suck your CPU down the drain...what a great trade off.

Btw, almost all VST synths suck when compared to the two in Reason...not too mention the available use of the combinator.
reason is good for what it does, but i feel that it takes too much work to get it to sound anything close to professional and is too limited to be on its own for what i do.
Like anything there is a learning curve, however Reason functions like real gear so if you can use that, you can surely use Reason. Saying that it doesn't sound like anything "real" is bunk in my view because as other have testified as well...I can make professional "sounding" sounds in minutes.
That's like saying something is a really good car except for he fact it has no wheels....
You need recording gear for synths right? How functional would a synth be if it was an all in one? The beauty of reason is that it can run on almost any computer setup PII and beyond...it's just that you limit your options if you don't have at least a 1ghz with 512 ram which is almost bottom rung at this point.
so granted it pretty much sucks and is passe.
Actually what I meant was, it f**k kicks the s**t out of most other software on the market in terms of user friendliness, sound, and price. Anyone who has done more than dabble with it once or twice would tell you that. Calling something s**t because of user ineptitude is ridiculous...crack the manual and go...it's about as easy as it comes.
My tracks are almost 100% Reason.
Werd. I think just about the entirety of what I do at this point is done to it's finished product inside reasons architechture...I mainly use Kristal for making my samples and recording external audio. In fact, I like th challenge of working totally inside reason...it can be a pain in the a*s, but the ability to mix and automate all that "hardware" is amazing.

Yeah and the "Scream" kicks a*s...and the studio reverb, as well as the ability to use recycle with the loop players and samplers....
www.opticecho.com/lostChord.html
"subvert normality, destroy, kill ALL hippies..."

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:04 am

wrong thread
Last edited by The Cancer Years on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com