Increasing Computer's Processing Speed? to run more VST

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
PaulRice
Gear: Roland Juno 6
Roland Jv-880
Yamaha dx27s
Yamaha QY100

Increasing Computer's Processing Speed? to run more VST

Post by PaulRice » Tue May 15, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey, its been awhile since i posted here.

Lets start off, Im in love with my computer and i dont want to replace it. Sadly, when i load multiple VST's or effects in FL STUDIo. I keep getting this VIBRATING/SKIPPING sound. I know it has somthing to do with the cpu usage. I was wondering if theres a way i can fix this problem WITHOUT buying a new Computer? Is it true they sell cards that you can install to fix this problem?
-Paul Rice

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Try adding more RAM.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 pm

It did the trick for me. Adding RAM that is.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Tue May 15, 2007 7:34 pm

I'll second the RAM suggestion. I don't know FL but does it have a freeze function?

kk994

Post by kk994 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Sometimes RAM is not the only answer. If your processor is maxed out then that's your lot. You could try overclocking but I don't know much about it.

You could turn off all network c**p, virus software all that kind of stuff.

If you have a very small amount of RAM then more will benefit but just make sure it's the RAM and not your processor thats crapping out. No pint in spending money on RAM if it's not going to help..

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue May 15, 2007 10:26 pm

kk994 wrote:Sometimes RAM is not the only answer. If your processor is maxed out then that's your lot. You could try overclocking but I don't know much about it.

You could turn off all network c**p, virus software all that kind of stuff.

If you have a very small amount of RAM then more will benefit but just make sure it's the RAM and not your processor thats crapping out. No pint in spending money on RAM if it's not going to help..
FL and CTRL+ALT+DEL ought to give you some idea of what is being taxed. My CPU was not good enough but I had more than enough meemory for what I was doing.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Gothboy
Gear: NordLead 2, Nord Micromodular, Novation Nova, Roland D-50, Alesis QS-6, Roland D-2, Yamaha A-3000
Band: Dymaxion Vehicle

Post by Gothboy » Tue May 15, 2007 10:55 pm

Let's start out again. How powerful is the computers' cpu? Also, max out the computer with the most RAM it can take, as it's been said.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 pm

So, what's your current configuration. In particular, CPU type and speed, amount of memory and what OS?

That woud give us some idea on what could be improved upon.

Tidda