New to softsynths

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

New to softsynths

Post by thestreets » Sun May 20, 2007 10:11 pm

I am just getting into soft synths. I am going to buy absynth. Loved the demo, just what i was looking for. Let's just say that i have none of the necessities for softsynths...what would i need? I probably already have some of the necessary items but just give me list and I'll check off the ones i have.

Thanks

HrBak

Post by HrBak » Sun May 20, 2007 10:46 pm

If you loved the demo, I guess you have all the things you need..??? :wink:
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Mon May 21, 2007 1:08 am

which is....

kernelkurtz

Post by kernelkurtz » Mon May 21, 2007 1:21 am

what do you mean what would you need? as long as you have a soft synth and a midi keyboard to plug into your computer, you're set.

for playing live, i have a usb interface (m-audio mobilepre) which i then hook up to a monitor/amp to get the best sound.
AAS Lounge Lizard, String Studio; Arturia ARP2600V, CS-80V, minimoogV; Cakewalk Rapture; GForce impOSCar; Linplug Octopus; NI Pro-53; Rob Papen Albino 3, Predator; u-he Zebra2; Waldorf Edition

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Mon May 21, 2007 1:50 am

thestreets wrote:which is....
Are you talking about computer specs?

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Mon May 21, 2007 3:14 am

I mean like...obviously i need the software and a computer. So what else would i need to get started? Midi controller (my Micron), midi/usb cable, I've heard something about an "interface"... I just need some help because i dont really know how to work this stuff.

Thefumigator
Band: thefumigator

Post by Thefumigator » Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 pm

you'll need a couple of beers..., and just run absynth, let it know which sound interface to use, and enable midi in. that's all unless you want to use a VST host, to build/track a complete tune.
watch my first youtube video :D
-We're gonna die, you know.
-Maybe. But if we die, we're gonna die walking.

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Tue May 22, 2007 2:55 am

a keyboard midi interface is something that will plug into your computer through your USB port and allow you to control and play Absynth. depending on what you get (a small list is below, but there are many others out there), you will have a certain number of knobs and sliders that you can assign to various parameters on absynth so everything doesnt have to be click and drag.

M Audio Oxygen8
Novation ReMOTE
Edirol PCR-50

some keyboard midi interfaces also have audio interfaces built into them. these will allow you to plug mics/instruments in and record through it instead of your onboard computer soundcard. the upside to these is that they usually have lower latency than most onboard soundcards. lower the lower the latency you have, the shorter amount of time it is going to take for absynth to make a sound after you push a key on your keyboard. something like this is the M Audio Ozone

the Novation X-Station is a midi interface, audio interface, and has a synth engine built in.

if you dont want to have a keyboard as a dedicated controller, and you would rather just use your Micron, something like the M Audio Uno will allow your micron to control absynth.

hope that helped!
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Tue May 22, 2007 3:31 am

Yes! thank you.

Ideally...

I want to have my micron control absynth and assign the pitch bend and sliders to parameters. I want to be able to put absynth through an amp or record into my hardware recorder. Those are really the necessities. Which of those you listed would i need to get for this?

HrBak

Post by HrBak » Wed May 23, 2007 8:59 pm

You should read some of the lessons over at tweakheadz..
It's a great resource to anything you want to know about how to set up your gear - and much more.

It's well written, fun and interesting

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

HrBak
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:35 pm

What kind of interface box would i need to record into my hardware recorder?

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:35 pm

What kind of interface box would i need to record absynth into my hardware recorder?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:51 am

One with a line out socket, two if you want to record in stereo. ;)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:39 am

viscerallove wrote:the Novation X-Station is a midi interface, audio interface, and has a synth engine built in.
and it even have a template for the Absynth :wink: with great feeling keys, aftertouch and hardware synth style user interface.
thestreets wrote:I want to have my micron control absynth and assign the pitch bend and sliders to parameters.
it will not be as intuitive and enjoyable as using a dedicated controller.
thestreets wrote:I want to be able to put absynth through an amp or record into my hardware recorder. Those are really the necessities. Which of those you listed would i need to get for this?
you can feed the amp with the output of the X-station (playing Absynth sound or the internal Novation engine!) and feed the output of the amp to the X-station in and record to your PC through USB or digital out. I also really like the distortion on this synth, you can process the audio input using this nice distortion along with other fxs. It even have phantom power for your condenser mic to record some vocal.
thestreets wrote:What kind of interface box would i need to record absynth into my hardware recorder?
again, something like the above would be nice :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

valdiorn

Post by valdiorn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:50 pm

thestreets wrote:What kind of interface box would i need to record absynth into my hardware recorder?
You can just use your computer's built in soundcard. Make sure you install ASIO4All drivers and use those. IF you don't there will be a latency from the time you press a note on your keyboard and audio is streamed to the sound card.
If you want some better quality stuff, get an simple USB audio interface (a.k.a. sound card).

But then again, why the h**l would you want a hardware recording interface? You have a computer with a hard drive, which can record things... = it is a hardware recorder by itself :p
http://www.myspace.com/notindemand
Life's a b***h, get a f**k helmet!