Multiple Macs

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Mo
Gear: Radias, ESX, EMX, MS2000, EA-1, Poly-800, Juno-106, Jupiter-6, MC-09, DX5, Monomachine, SQ80, CZ5000, VL-tone, midiNES
Band: hobbyist/procrastinator

Multiple Macs

Post by Mo » Tue May 29, 2007 6:39 am

I am going to be buying another mac powerbook in the near future and I was wondering if it is possible to link multiple macs together for combined processing power in Logic, and multiple screens. I've read about large computer animation/special effects studios or university research centers will link dozens of computers together to form a super-computer, but I couldn't find anything online about the subject... in fact, I'm not even sure what to look for! :? Could anyone help me out? Thanks :)

-- ------
--------
-If you have to be on the cutting edge, expect to bleed.-

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 am

Distributed computing isn't quite that straight forward. It would probably be more realistic to devote each computer to a dedicated task, IE audio and midi/VST. You can always gigabit (or something similar) them together for quick transfers.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 » Tue May 29, 2007 7:37 am

Dyne:bolic can do cluster PCs...but I doubt it'll run on a powerbook. It's a build of gnu linux I think, filled with all free audio and video apps. Runs as a live cd, or installed OS, and can even run on a chipped xbox (yep, I can confirm that).

No clue otherwise unless you had intel-i-macs
Radio Electro(u)nique
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios

9mm

Post by 9mm » Tue May 29, 2007 7:58 am

from my understanding, you need logic pro 7 adn at least 2 intel based macs running osx 10.4 or better hooked up through ehternet for distributed processing. check out the logic site, it gives you the basic info of what you need
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Tue May 29, 2007 8:07 am

Try searching for "Beowulf Clusters" if you want information about this sort of thing.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 29, 2007 8:45 am

Yes you can do it with Logic Pro 7, it comes with a Logic Node program that you install on the other computer and then the processing power is spread over ethernet.

As others have said, have a look at the Logic page and Google it.

Mo
Gear: Radias, ESX, EMX, MS2000, EA-1, Poly-800, Juno-106, Jupiter-6, MC-09, DX5, Monomachine, SQ80, CZ5000, VL-tone, midiNES
Band: hobbyist/procrastinator

Post by Mo » Tue May 29, 2007 2:49 pm

I received more help than I thought I would! Thanks :D

Now I just have to do a little bit of research to see if there will be a compatibiliy problem between "mac" macs, and "intel" macs, and maybe snag a couple of mac minis for cheap (chya'rite) on ebay. If it's intel only, I'm SOL. Oh well.

How big of a difference is there between the Mac PowerBook and the Intel MacBook Pro? It might not even be worth the hassle of networking/distributing to run some of my more labour intensive plugins *cough!*Minimonsta*cough!* If I had a godzilla-esque Mac Pro (you know, the type you build in the Mac store for $17,000 :shock: ) it would be the only softsynth I ever used. 4-voice poly is the absolute max I can get out of my PowerBook before Logic stops, and that's with Minimonsta running by itself with unison off. :cry:

-- ------
--------
-If you have to be on the cutting edge, expect to bleed.-

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:45 pm

You'll be blown away by how powerful a new macbook pro is compared to your powerbook. My macbook core duo (not pro or core 2 duo) is more powerful than my old g5, which absolutely caned the 1.33GHz g4 powerbook I was using before.

I doubt you'll be looking for more processing power after buying the macbook pro...

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:38 am

I'd just wanted to echo Stab Frenzy...a new macbook pro is plenty fast as fast, no lie! Just be sure to get the 2gb of ram right off the bat, or plan to upgrade to a matched pair asap.

You WILL be wanting an external hdd for recording though...the internal benchmarks about the same speed as a USB hdd (35mbps roughly average)...although I found a decent USB capable of recording 8 simultaneous mono audio tracks, with Massive also running, and every channel had live realtime dynamics, some had more fx, for over two hours straight of recording with no hiccups (this was the ungodly pro-tools btw, which I tend to hate)...the processor just ate it all up though, had headroom still.
Radio Electro(u)nique
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios