Native Instruments FM8?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
matt74

Native Instruments FM8?

Post by matt74 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:03 pm

i got a chance to play around with this at Sam Ash and it kind of blew me away. sounds amazing and the layout seemed very user friendly to me. my main problem with fm synthesis is that it makes no sense to me. the fm8 seems different, and also looks badass to me. anyone use it in their setup?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Definitely. I upgraded from FM7 and FM8 is a step forward (not in the last place because they've dropped the DX7 look - there's more space albeit that those who are used to the DX7 layout are going to have to adjust).

The entire Easy Edit page is a godsend. It's one of my favorite software synths. The only downside I can see is that I still have to import every possible DX7 preset ever made (and catalog 'm) ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:18 pm

i gots to try FM8... i have a DX7IIFD w/E, an FS1R and an SY-99 with software editors for all and know FM/PM synthesis inside out. none of the editors look like the DX7, btw, they look like standard editors. Galaxy is still my favorite DX7 editor.

i would like to hear what owners of the higher-end FM synths (SY/TY77 & 99, FS1R) think of the software. building your own algorithms always seemed like the natural evolution of the technology since you can work somewhat more spontaneously.

TheBeezus

Post by TheBeezus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 am

Oh I'm a user, most definitely. I'm still an fm7 guy (haven't upgraded, probably won't. version 1 still has enough to keep me occupied) and I've been really really happy with it. I could never function with it as my one and only...or let alone make an entire song using only instances of FM7...but nonetheless there are times when i need something ambient or metallic or layering a punchy bass over a sub...and nothing does it better. I don't find FM synthesis in general the least bit user friendly, so I would be lost without the quick
editing. I've tinkered around with a dx7 a time or two and each time Ive wondered how that thing ever sold so well haha. I don't think I'd be stretching myself too far in saying that the fm7/8's are probably the first soft synths based on hardware to blow the original out of the water. I'm sure I could get some ' pry hardware from my cold dead hands ' types to concede with that. More operators, a more efficient interface, more time for creating I wonder how much Brian Eno digs fm8. I know he was absolutely inseparable from the dx7.
soundcloud.com/beatemupmusic

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 am

I love it. I had FM7, which I thought was okay, but FM8 is just so much better.

Thanks to FM8, I have no desire to use any DX-series synth. I can't imagine trying to program one after this.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 am

^ END OF THREAD :shock:

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:59 am

Wiglaf wrote:I love it. I had FM7, which I thought was okay, but FM8 is just so much better.

Thanks to FM8, I have no desire to use any DX-series synth. I can't imagine trying to program one after this.
did FM8 retain some or all of the original presets from the FM7? I want to uprgrade my Komplete 3 to 4 but i'm afraid that FM8 will completely different from FM7
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Pighood wrote:^ END OF THREAD :shock:

Wait for me!!!!!:)

The FM7 was the first softsynth I bought being an FM fan since my first ever synth the DX7. It's light years ahead of almost all other FM synths (apart from maybe the FS1R) and a for a complex synthesis technique like FM I think software is the only way to go.
The general synth design is near perfect example of FM which is why I never bothered with the FM8 upgrade which is mainly better for beginners.
I really like the way you can assign the same operator parameters over the same MIDI CC’s and then have another CC to switch between the different operators making it very intuitive for use with my Regalwerk, you can also save different assignment banks and custom envelope settings with looping. I also like the way you can use an external audio source as an operator or modulator, great for abstract rhythms tho can get a little too noisy at times. Covers almost all my digital sounds and I don’t think I’ll ever exhaust it possibilities. I want to use it with one of those Novation controller joysticks to make vector synth kinda sounds but I'll have to wait for Santa.

I know Eno has really taken to it and he was apparently experimenting with a sort of psudo physical modelling according to a recent interview.

A triumph for the softsynth revolution! 8)

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Now I've got SAS for FM8. Thanks a lot.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:33 pm

SAS? :?:

Wiglaf
Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Post by Wiglaf » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:32 am

Pighood wrote:SAS? :?:
Software Acquisition Syndrome, I assume.

rickrhino wrote:did FM8 retain some or all of the original presets from the FM7?

Hmm...I don't believe so. I can't recall any from FM7 in FM8, although I'm sure you could import them.
Last edited by Wiglaf on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:35 am

OIC....as opposed to GAS.

<< PLAM >> :shock:

OggeOJ

Post by OggeOJ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:21 am

See my signature. I hardly use any other softsynth nowadays.
yeah, im also obsessed with it.

kernelkurtz

Post by kernelkurtz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:34 am

FM8 is definitely teh sex.
AAS Lounge Lizard, String Studio; Arturia ARP2600V, CS-80V, minimoogV; Cakewalk Rapture; GForce impOSCar; Linplug Octopus; NI Pro-53; Rob Papen Albino 3, Predator; u-he Zebra2; Waldorf Edition

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:22 pm

On the Eno "Pseudo Physical Modeling"-thing:

Could very well be. *here* be my muted trumpet, made in FM8. Only controllers used are aftertouch and pitchbend (used for pitchbend and shaking, where the shaking actually is a fast pitchbend). Don't mind the melodies, it's mere testp00p.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids