hardware vs. software

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
MrHope
No Longer Registered

hardware vs. software

Post by MrHope » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:26 am

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 am

spritually yes, real world no.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

yellowfever
No Longer Registered

Post by yellowfever » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:08 am

Well. I'm a complete hardware enthusiast. I posted an exact same topic a while back. However, I have recently bought myself Cubase SX. WOW !!!!!
Should have done it ages ago. So simple to use, once you figue out all the short-cuts!!
The 32 channel mixer has been replaced with a 16 channel Mackie, loads more room, rock solid timing etc etc.
I guess you could say I'm a convert :lol:

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:54 am

Hardware & Software for me! I really like hardware synths but i like using software for sequencing (Ableton Live), for Hammond emulation (NI B4 II) and for sample mangling and other purposes with Karma FX

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:16 am

I'm not trying to try a hard vs. soft war, I just like the cartoon. :)

celeber

Post by celeber » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:25 am

i love the sound of hardware. but i also like modular software since you can make some stuff that wouldn't be possible in the hardware realm.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:04 am

MrHope wrote:I'm not trying to try a hard vs. soft war, I just like the cartoon. :)
:argue: you started a debate anyways... by the time this is in the 2nd or 3rd page, no one will even look at the cartoon before posting!

the correct answer, btw, is another debate altogether:
caring which is better vs writing good music
:D

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Owners of the softsynths tend to 'care which is better instead of writing good music'.

Owners of hardware may not write good music either but they somehow tend to not 'care which is better'.

The implication from these two statements makes it clear which is better :-)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:27 pm

martinp268 wrote:
Owners of the softsynths tend to 'care which is better instead of writing good music'.

Owners of hardware may not write good music either but they somehow tend to not 'care which is better'.

:toothy8: :laughing6:

Joxer96

Post by Joxer96 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:10 pm

martinp268 wrote:

Heh, heh...that is brilliant. :D :wink: :D

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 pm

I was joking. I don't really think of software this bad ;-). The thing is that the software synths are still in their early days of development and, at this moment, they can compete with hardware synths on the same basis as analogue synths competed with real trumpets and clarinets in the 1970's.

They didn't sound like the acoustic instruments but were close enough, for that times, to get excited about and evoked thoughts like 'will trumpet players become obsolete now?'. I think, exactly the same thing takes place now, only with software. The best soft synths on the market are thought to sound good and mimick the hardware synths satisfactorily, but in fifteen or twenty years that sound will become as convincing as Yamaha DX7's strings today :-)

I believe, the software development is good and it will seriously take us somewhere interesting in the future, but at the moment, I would rather go for old hardware synths for great synth sound.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:48 pm

martinp268 wrote:I was joking. I don't really think of software this bad ;-). The thing is that the software synths are still in their early days of development and, at this moment, they can compete with hardware synths on the same basis as analogue synths competed with real trumpets and clarinets in the 1970's.

They didn't sound like the acoustic instruments but were close enough, for that times, to get excited about and evoked thoughts like 'will trumpet players become obsolete now?'. I think, exactly the same thing takes place now, only with software. The best soft synths on the market are thought to sound good and mimick the hardware synths satisfactorily, but in fifteen or twenty years that sound will become as convincing as Yamaha DX7's strings today :-)

I believe, the software development is good and it will seriously take us somewhere interesting in the future, but at the moment, I would rather go for old hardware synths for great synth sound.
? digital hardware synths are just software running in their own box. If you run software through a good converter there really isn't any difference. It comes down to the interface, and the individual manufacturers/programming.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 pm

I tend to imagine that my laptop is a compact, but highly modular synth :)

Sampling, sequencing, synths, recording all in one box. (Hmm, sounds like a workstation that does!)

But I love messing with my modest hardware collection too.
Stephen(2)

esqoner

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Post by esqoner » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm

if you want to test me, i'm sure you'll find
the lessons from teacha are sure to beat ya
so take it from me, you get get a lesson from teacha

now kick

kickkickkickkickkickkickkickkick

and punch

punch
punch
punch
punch
punch
punch
punch
punch

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:07 am

MrHope, thanks for sharing master onion with us, i like the cartoon too!

:happy3: