opinions on NI Absynth 4?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
oceanbourne

opinions on NI Absynth 4?

Post by oceanbourne » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 pm

I've searched the forum and could not find anything really specific on this, so I thought I would ask the question anew though I would think it's been covered before . . .

What do people think of Absynth 4? Especially regarding its sound quality vs. hardware synths which can do about the same things? And speaking of, what hardware synths would be good comparisons to Absynth? I ask because I have Absynth and love it but a friend is looking for a hardware piece to do just about (it seems) what Absynth does . . . so I am trying to talk him into Absythn . . . Native Instruments really needs to give me a commission here!
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:49 am

No hardware like it...remote cousins include the Neuron, K5000 & Q.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

spr

Post by spr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:24 am

Any comparison of Absynth to hardware is useless. It's an immensely powerful synth, and a lot of what makes it sound unique are features that really don't really translate well into the hardware realm (it's envelopes, user waves, fx section, wave morphing etc.). It can sound like a bread and butter VA type synth if you want it to, but you can coax things out of it not possible anywhere else. It sounds like your friend might not really know what Absynth is all about, or why he might want something like that in the first place.

In any event, it's a wicked synth, as you know....
Virus C, Nord Modular, Juno 106, Korg MS2000R, D-550/PG-1000, Casio SK-1, Electrix Filter Factory, Lexicon MPX1, JD-990 w/Vintage Exp, Apogee Mini-Me, RME Multiface/PCI, UAD-1, Powercore Firewire, Cubase SX 3, Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, Battery 3

oceanbourne

Post by oceanbourne » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 am

Thanks. I think his deal is he's (and I know he's not alone) finding it hard to believe that the sound quality of a software synth can rival or better that of hardware. His attitude is: "It sounds good, but if you can get something this good for $300, why isn't there hardware availible at a higher price that can do even more?".
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:03 pm

oceanbourne wrote:Thanks. I think his deal is he's (and I know he's not alone) finding it hard to believe that the sound quality of a software synth can rival or better that of hardware. His attitude is: "It sounds good, but if you can get something this good for $300, why isn't there hardware availible at a higher price that can do even more?".
Of course it is possible to have hardware like Absynth. After all, VA synths are nothing more than dedicated computers with a keyboard built into them. The point is Absynth is that it's very unique and doesn't really allow for simple plain sounds easily so if you make it into hardware it will be very expensive (needs lots of CPU power) while limited in what it offers compared with say a Virus Ti or an Ion. Also notice that Absynth relies on a lot of graphical manipulation of the sounds (ADSRs and morphing) and you'd need something like the OAsys of the V-Synth GT screen at a minimum to replicate that, which again would prove uneconomical for what it will do.
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

DGX305

Post by DGX305 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:07 pm

oceanbourne wrote:Thanks. I think his deal is he's (and I know he's not alone) finding it hard to believe that the sound quality of a software synth can rival or better that of hardware. His attitude is: "It sounds good, but if you can get something this good for $300, why isn't there hardware availible at a higher price that can do even more?".
Of course it is possible to have hardware like Absynth. After all, VA synths are nothing more than dedicated computers with a keyboard built into them. The point is Absynth is that it's very unique and doesn't really allow for simple plain sounds easily so if you make it into hardware it will be very expensive (needs lots of CPU power) while limited in what it offers compared with say a Virus Ti or an Ion. Also notice that Absynth relies on a lot of graphical manipulation of the sounds (ADSRs and morphing) and you'd need something like the OAsys of the V-Synth GT screen at a minimum to replicate that, which again would prove uneconomical for what it will do.
Akai MPC1000 | Alesis Fusion 8HD + Ion + 2x QS8 | Boss SYB-5 | Edirol PCR-1 | Korg Electribe EMX | Novation X-Station 25 | Roland V-Synth GT + V-Synth + VC1 + VC2 | Yamaha AN200 + DX5 + MK100

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums