Entering software realm

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
UTEPguy

Entering software realm

Post by UTEPguy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 pm

Hiya. Im considering some software to spice up my musical life hehe. The thing is I have never dealt with software for music composition. Nothing big, I will probably set up Ableton on my linux machine or use one of those freebies that come with it. BUT I need a good interface and I dont know anything 'bout that. I was thinking about something like the Alesis IO2 or a tiny thingy like that. Any help is appreciated :) Thanks
Synth arsenal: Fusion 6HD, JX-8P + pg-800, XP-10, and MS-2000.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 pm

There's some info about Ableton Live and linux at the following link.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=13273

I'd also recommend taking a look at Reaper and EnergyXT2. The latter has both windows and native linux versions, and the licence lets you run both - you can use the linux version to handle midi i/o and JACK connections, and use the windows version (using wine and wineasio) to sequence soft synths.

I'll be getting EnergyXT2 as soon as funds allow, but I also run Reaper very successfully using wine and wineasio and a realtime kernel. Windows VST support in reaper is very good, and I dare say the win version of EnergyXT2 is as good.

My cheap usb interface is OK, but does generate a fair number of x-runs. But it does do OK for audio recording. Mind you, my hardware is a bit out of date.

As for interfaces, m-audio stuff is worth looking at (they do native linux drivers!) I hear the delta products are good. For midi use, I use an Edirol UM-1 - it works out of the box. Midisport usb midi works nicely too, but you might need to patch in a couple of extra drivers.

For native linux sequencers/audio editors you're looking at rosegarden, ardour, seq24 and audacity. There's a very nice range of software synths for linux, and a few native VSTs are appearing to run with EnergyXT2.
Stephen(2)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:20 pm

I second the Reaper suggestion. Awesome program at a give-away price.
What's best is you can download a full-working version straight off the site. That way you can install it and spend as much time as required before deciding. And you can save your results along the way :)