ReWire? What is it?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
kylejun06

ReWire? What is it?

Post by kylejun06 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 am

I've heard a lot about rewire, especially on this board, and when I install VST Plugins into FL Studio.

What is rewire?

konvert

Re: ReWire? What is it?

Post by konvert » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 am

kylejun06 wrote:I've heard a lot about rewire, especially on this board, and when I install VST Plugins into FL Studio.

What is rewire?
You can link Reason to FLStudio (and other sequencers which support ReWire) via ReWire. It's kind of protocol, i'd say.

Read here

ReWire is a system for transferring audio data between two computer applications, in real time. Basically, you could view ReWire as an "invisible cable" that streams audio from one computer program into another.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:07 am

Rewire also can be used with Bidule, Logic, Live, etc... I could rewire Live as a slave to Logic, for example. Or Bidule as a slave to Digital Performer, and so on. A lot of the "big bad DAW programs" like Cubase (IIRC, things may have changed or a I could wrong on this one) and Digital Performer (that one I know for a fact) only will act as masters, and some programs like Reason will only act as slaves, but a lot will act as both (like Live).

REwire

Post by REwire » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:29 am

I am REwire, but hate ReWire! It's not my fault I have that name, my first bandmate came up with the name because he used Rebirth.

I think VST instruments connect much better to software like Cubase. We used some of the first software synthesizers in 1999 like RetroAS-1 and Unity DS-1 and ReWire was badly implemented back then. It works much better now but I think software needing ReWire these days has not advanced.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

clueless

Post by clueless » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:32 pm

Don't wish to make comment on the tech side of things but it's a pretty cool username. (truth....not arse licking. :lol: )

taylor

Post by taylor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 am

basically say im running my sequencer(ableton on my PC, reason on my Mac) and i open up reason, basically i can route the sound to play through one of the tracks in the sequencer so you have all your sounds coming from the sequencer instead of 2 sources at once

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 am

taylor wrote:basically say im running my sequencer(ableton on my PC, reason on my Mac) and i open up reason, basically i can route the sound to play through one of the tracks in the sequencer so you have all your sounds coming from the sequencer instead of 2 sources at once
No, it does not work across two computers.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 pm

I rewire my Cubase SX3 to my Ableton Live. This means I can trigger Sampler to Cubase with this feature. I try not to use this feature though. Someone had said that it slows your system.. I don't believe him.

taylor

Post by taylor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:29 am

Altitude wrote:
taylor wrote:basically say im running my sequencer(ableton on my PC, reason on my Mac) and i open up reason, basically i can route the sound to play through one of the tracks in the sequencer so you have all your sounds coming from the sequencer instead of 2 sources at once
No, it does not work across two computers.
oh, no, i was saying i use reason on my mac and ableton on my PC, sorry for that