Software Groovebox?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
logicalhippo

Software Groovebox?

Post by logicalhippo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:46 pm

So for a long time I've been hesitant to use my computer as the center of my MIDI setup - and I guess it's because I haven't found a loop sequencer that's really easy to make quick ideas on. I've been using a qy70 for this for a few years, and I love it to death, but I feel like there should be a better way. Also going in with the mouse and deleting stray notes would be easier than doing things in hardware.

Can anyone think of a good solution to creating loop-based music on a computer? I have an intel mac. Logic can loop, but I don't know how to set it up so I can define separate loops (chorus, verse, etc) and then switch between them easily.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:32 pm

How about a tracker? There are many *very* good trackers out there, several which are free. Personally I use Buzztracker a lot. It can be somewhat confusing at first, and it is quite unstable, but the results are potentially top notch ;)

Also worth looking at is Renoise, allegedly Aron Funks weapon of choice (Aron Funk of Venetian Snares fame).

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 pm

I'd try the demo of ableton live if I were you.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 pm

I'd build one myself in Reaktor. No constant hassles with the interface "argh why did they put that knob THERE", presets are easy to create and manage and can be mixed and matched.

Or Ableton, yeah. It's got a mode for applications like this.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:50 am

I've been playing with this

http://www.psychicmodulation.com/vst.html

About as grooveboxy as you can get

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:29 pm

I bought Fxpansion GURU recently and love it. I wrote a review up on it you can read here:
http://www.darksonus.com/DS_GearReviews ... n_GURU.php
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Aphex Twin uses this live.

http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:52 pm

For drum sequencing try Hydrogen. It uses samples, so you could use it for f/x and the like by creating your own kits.

http://www.hydrogen-music.org

There's a Mac version available.
Stephen(2)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Software Groovebox?

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 pm

logicalhippo wrote: Also going in with the mouse and deleting stray notes would be easier than doing things in hardware.
huh?
sounds like workflow suicide to me :-k
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 am

i still use Passport Design's Upbeat from time to time, they made fantastic software and it was/is a wonderful interface for drum programming. i have an OS9 iMac just for running obsolete music software (especially Galaxy).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:33 am

another vote for Live

http://www.ableton.com/downloads

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:59 am

Live.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Um, have you tried Garageband? I mean you already have a copy of it...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

logicalhippo

Post by logicalhippo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:49 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Um, have you tried Garageband? I mean you already have a copy of it...
Well, I was just hoping there was some software designed from the ground up to help not only with recording but also with composition. It's really hard to hear whether or not electronic arrangements are going to work out if you play them on the piano or even a monotimbral synth. For me a loop based hardware sequencer really helps in trying out new things and gives freedom to try whacky ideas that I might not even consider doing if I was in a static work environment like logic. I looked into live, which a lot of people suggested, and it looks really nice, however it doesn't quite have the "purity of essence" I was imagining - there's lot of stuff there visible in the interface that doesn't pertain really to sequencing.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the model of data in logic and garageband really seems to me like there are these tape parts that you can loop if you want.

There were a lot of cool suggestions for drum machines in software - the Guru in particular looked really tasty, but they aren't general purpose.

It seems what I'm thinking about doesn't really exist - should it? I'm envisioning a minimal program with a pretty UI that probably can host software instruments of some kind, has extensive midi for controlling outboard gear, and behaves very similarly to a 90s hardware sequencer. Does this idea appeal to anyone else? Or does this already exist in some form that I haven't noticed?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:46 pm

logicalhippo wrote:I'm envisioning a minimal program with a pretty UI that probably can host software instruments of some kind, has extensive midi for controlling outboard gear, and behaves very similarly to a 90s hardware sequencer. Does this idea appeal to anyone else? Or does this already exist in some form that I haven't noticed?
When you write 90s sequencers do you mean Roland grid style sequencers or what? Live, Acid and Sonar all support looping of MIDI data just like they do audio data.

The problem is that once PCs could record audio, all the sequencing applications added audio features. Eventually the audio apps (like Pro Tools, Acid and Live) had to add MIDI to compete and here we are today with no market anymore for apps that only sequence.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.